Which Linux works best for you and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbett_1989

As my Windows XP 64 bit systems once agian dies on me and the chore of reinstalling the system becomes one of my only options ( I installed the same system four different times in about two months) I was wondering about Linux. Problem is through for me is that there are alot of them out there. Which one to choose? So I'm asking to all of you why did you choose your linux distribution over another and is there anything you would like to change about your linux distribution or the one you have in your opinion is the best?

Ubuntu, It's the darling of the distros at the moment.

You can install it in a dozen clicks or so, totally with the GUI.

It reads and can write NTFS.

The partition manager can create partitions on an active drive. (Defrag first! Don't try this on a drive more than maybe 25% full!).

The GRUB bootloader is easy to implement (again w/ GUI) (for dual boot systems).

You must not be living cleanly! It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall Windows every other week! What's up?

No I am clean

Ha sadly I actually do have a clean system. I'm quite paranoid about my security so I kept everything up to date and what not ..the problem was the operating system never installed correctly every time I tried to install it something would never copy right. My recently problem was that only my Microsoft 64 bit programs were working and I was just fed up trying to work with it. It wasn't a virus or anything that caused the problem which was crazy. Sad part was I never had any trouble with my XP 32 bit machine which I still love. I had that machine for about 7 years and i only needed to reinstall the operating system about 4 times. And two of those times I wanted to do it.

No Time To Waste....!

All that said, I might consider ordering a 32 bit OEM copy of either XP-Pro or XP-Home.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

They're going to stop selling XP on June 30,2008. What you're describing could be driver issues, but it's not unheard of that the Windows CD could be defective.

A month or so ago bought a copy of XP 32 Bit Home, went right in, fired right up, works perfectly. Didn't want Vista's aggravation, and Linux won't run my Photoshop.

Get Home Edition

I think the one I had was the home edition, and I didn't know Windows was throwing away Windows XP 32 bit operating system. Still seems like Vista isn't ready to go anywhere just yet, unless their trying to force people into upgrading. Thanks for the replay..still going to wait for others replay on other Linux operating system as I try to understand Ubuntu.

captaincranky said:
Ubuntu, It's the darling of the distros at the moment.

You can install it in a dozen clicks or so, totally with the GUI.

It reads and can write NTFS.

The partition manager can create partitions on an active drive. (Defrag first! Don't try this on a drive more than maybe 25% full!).

The GRUB bootloader is easy to implement (again w/ GUI) (for dual boot systems).

All of those can be done by OpenSUSE as well and KDE is far better than the Gnome that you are stuck with in Ubuntu. OpenSUSE is a project ran by Novell and sponsored by AMD. Ubuntu doesn't have such support behind it outside of it's users.

I just Love a Post With Conviction.....However....

jonmcc33 said:
All of those can be done by OpenSUSE as well and KDE is far better than the Gnome that you are stuck with in Ubuntu. OpenSUSE is a project ran by Novell and sponsored by AMD. Ubuntu doesn't have such support behind it outside of it's users.

Ever since M$ bought Novell they've managed to lose a few points on principle.

Well, if you simply must have KDE, download >>>> KUBUNTU<<<<. See, you're not stuck with anything; http://www.ubuntu.com/

captaincranky said:
Ever since M$ bought Novell they've managed to lose a few points on principle.

Well, if you simply must have KDE, download >>>> KUBUNTU<<<<. See, you're not stuck with anything; http://www.ubuntu.com/

Microsoft never bought Novell. Don't spread FUD. Novell and Microsoft made a joint patent agreement together and that is it.

No, Kubuntu is not the answer. I had severe problems with it. Most KDE fans will agree that Kubuntu is a really bad attempt to put Ubuntu out with KDE.

jonmcc33 said:
Novell and Microsoft made a joint patent agreement together and that is it.
I think at the very least, we might categorize that as "in bed together".

jonmcc33 said:
No, Kubuntu is not the answer. I had severe problems with it. Most KDE fans will agree that Kubuntu is a really bad attempt to put Ubuntu out with KDE.

Well then, for poor dolts such as myself who don't know any better Gnome seems to work out fine.
I actually have popular opinion on my side recommending Ubuntu. "I had severe problems with it" (Kubuntu), may or may not be entirely relevant, if you don't mind my saying so.

How about Fedora 7? I know you'll want to weigh in on that.

jonmcc33 said:
Never had any problems myself with either ubuntu, kubuntu or xubuntu. What kind of difficulties were you having?

caravel said:
Never had any problems myself with either ubuntu, kubuntu or xubuntu. What kind of difficulties were you having?

Ubuntu is just wrong with Gnome, so that's that.

Kubuntu for me failed every time I did a fresh install and tried to run updates. It would download about half of them, fail and crash the OS. I'd have to reinstall and start over only to crash with updates again.

So while I used Kubuntu it was without running any of the automatic updates after a fresh install. It also just looked bad, especially when compared to OpenSUSE.

Amazing how many people try Kubuntu and find happiness with OpenSUSE.

There is nothing wrong with Gnome, don't let your personal bias get in the way of helping others. As in explain why you don't like it rather than saying its just "wrong". Tons of people use Gnome on Ubuntu because its the default, and they don't have problems with it. I've always installed OpenSuse with Gnome. I prefer it to KDE because I'm familiar with it and I think it looks better.

The Clock is Still Running on 32Bit XP.....

corbett_1989 said:
Ha sadly I actually do have a clean system. I'm quite paranoid about my security so I kept everything up to date and what not ..the problem was the operating system never installed correctly every time I tried to install it something would never copy right. My recently problem was that only my Microsoft 64 bit programs were working and I was just fed up trying to work with it. It wasn't a virus or anything that caused the problem which was crazy. Sad part was I never had any trouble with my XP 32 bit machine which I still love. I had that machine for about 7 years and i only needed to reinstall the operating system about 4 times. And two of those times I wanted to do it.

There does exist, at least the possibility of a hardware issue. I'm thinking run Chkdsk, and check the BIOS version just to rule these things out.

SNGX1275 said:
There is nothing wrong with Gnome, don't let your personal bias get in the way of helping others. As in explain why you don't like it rather than saying its just "wrong". Tons of people use Gnome on Ubuntu because its the default, and they don't have problems with it. I've always installed OpenSuse with Gnome. I prefer it to KDE because I'm familiar with it and I think it looks better.

That's because Ubuntu was designed around Gnome. That's why people use Gnome with Ubuntu and do not have problems with it. Try Kubuntu and you'll have an entirely different story. Mine was a nightmare that quickly sent me looking for another distro to try out.

OpenSUSE works with Gnome but it is best suited for KDE. The big to do with OpenSUSE 11 is KDE4 and not some new thing for Gnome.

corbett_1989 said:
why did you choose your linux distribution over another and is there anything you would like to change about your linux distribution or the one you have in your opinion is the best?
I use Fedora 8 at work (and sometimes at home), with KDE as the GUI. I tried Fedora 9 beta as well, but couldn't stand KDE4 (it felt too dumbed down). I think I'll wait and see what happens with it.

One of my first Linux installations that I can remember was Red Hat Linux 5.0. It came on a CD with some PC magazine.

After that I had RH 6.0 - 9, Fedora Core 1-7 and now this.

Of course I've tried various different distributions, such as (Open)SuSE, Mandrake/Mandriva, Lindows/Linspire, Kubuntu and Slackware, but eventually just went back to Fedora because I'm most familiar with it.

If there's something I'd change, it would be bringing KDE3 back to Fedora 9.

captaincranky said:

1. Not OpenSUSE. That is SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
2. That goes back to this: https://www.techspot.com/news/23432-Microsoft-and-Novell-in-strategic-partnerhip.html
"A new agreement will ensure that Microsoft will offer sales support for SUSE Linux, the Linux distro that is sold by Novell. Together, the two companies will develop technologies to make it easier for users to run both SUSE Linux and Windows on their computers."
3. Don't see what your point is really.

caravel said:
OpenSUSE is still Novell. They founded the OpenSUSE project.

The SUSE project existed well before Novell acquired it last time I checked. Let's see, SUSE created in 1992, Novell acquired in 2003. Yep! I was right!

Novell does develop OpenSUSE and it is a community project that is free to everyone. The SLES/SLED are far different, targeted towards the business/corporate environment and has Novell provided technical support.

But the Linux community hatred towards Novell because of the Microsoft agreement is well documented: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell#Agreement_with_Microsoft

Don't be a hater. It's all Linux in the long run. I bet you hate Xandros too don't you?

Well......Not Quite.....

jonmcc33 said:
But the Linux community hatred towards Novell because of the Microsoft agreement is well documented: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell#Agreement_with_Microsoft ?
As well it should be. Er, both the hatred and the documentation.

jonmcc33 said:
Don't be a hater. It's all Linux in the long run. I bet you hate Xandros too don't you?
Actually I'm quite ambivalent towards Xandros, and Linux in general.
I do have a considerable animosity towards M$.
I'm all too willing to discuss the pros and cons of Novell's association with M$, but I actually think that such a discussion should include Vista & XP also, since my impression goes to M$'s ulterior motives in all this. However, I'm thinking that that discussion should have a thread of it's own.

This thread was not started by you or I, and we've managed to hijack it way off topic. With that thought in mind, I'm going to reanswer the original question forthwith, hoping we can get this back on track. Soooo......

corbett_1989 I think your problems may be with the 64 bit version of Windows and not with XP in general. People sometimes get frustrated and jump ship to Linux.
I'm for checking for hardware or BIOS problems before you write off Your XP Pro.
Failing that, a OEM copy of 32 bit XP Home might bring you Nirvana.

As for which distro of Linux might serve you best, all the most recent versions of the popular "brands" should do you proud. That gives you these
Open Suse
Ubuntu
Fedora 7

I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed, when I actually use it it works fine. I simply don't use any standard look to my XP desktops so it's pointless for me to evaluate Gnome vs KDE, I just don't care.
Open Suse has a fine reputation.
So does Fedora. Add Mandriva, and Knopix to round the selection out.

These are all FREE, so since you've been reinstalling Windows twice a week, why not download them all and give them each a try. Create a partition, install, play for a while, then wipe with the next distro. You are after all the person who needs to be happy, not us.

corbett_1989, ignore any prejudiced comments about Novell and SUSE. One thing you will learn about the Linux community is that they are as hateful towards other distros as they are Windows.

Me? I seriously tried a lot of distros out. I just wanted to get one that not only worked but looked good (polished). For OpenSUSE to be owned by Novell and sponsored by AMD says a lot. Any Microsoft comments are non-relative as they do not apply to OpenSUSE at all.

I tried PCLinuxOS, Solaris, Fedora Core, Ubuntu and Kubuntu and none of them worked the way they needed to - which would be flawlessly. Ubuntu has a great following and large community but it's rather dull to look at and when I used it I honestly felt like I was using beta software.

I just kept going through distros trying to find the right one. Then I stumbled upon OpenSUSE. I checked out some screenshots, looked nice, went to the main page and saw the whole Novell and AMD thing and was blown away to have such a long standing corporation like Novell to be responsible for the software. Novell has taken the time and energy to boost their SUSE Linux Enterprise Server/Desktop and passed on the polished look and performance to OpenSUSE.

I'm not going to waste time ranting or raving about it any further. Just try it yourself and see.

jonmcc33 said:
corbett_1989, ignore any prejudiced comments about Novell and SUSE. One thing you will learn about the Linux community is that they are as hateful towards other distros as they are Windows.

Me? I seriously tried a lot of distros out. I just wanted to get one that not only worked but looked good (polished). For OpenSUSE to be owned by Novell and sponsored by AMD says a lot. Any Microsoft comments are non-relative as they do not apply to OpenSUSE at all.

I tried PCLinuxOS, Solaris, Fedora Core, Ubuntu and Kubuntu and none of them worked the way they needed to - which would be flawlessly. Ubuntu has a great following and large community but it's rather dull to look at and when I used it I honestly felt like I was using beta software.

I just kept going through distros trying to find the right one. Then I stumbled upon OpenSUSE. I checked out some screenshots, looked nice, went to the main page and saw the whole Novell and AMD thing and was blown away to have such a long standing corporation like Novell to be responsible for the software. Novell has taken the time and energy to boost their SUSE Linux Enterprise Server/Desktop and passed on the polished look and performance to OpenSUSE.

I'm not going to waste time ranting or raving about it any further. Just try it yourself and see.

Well, what you mean to say here is, ignore any predudiced comments, except your own.
Or was it, nobody needs to learn anything, you've done all the testing for us.
My English interpretation skills have just atrophied
When Henry Ford, first introduced the model "T", he's alleged to have said, you can have it in any color you want, as long as it's black. Gosh, I long for simpler times, don't you.

captaincranky said:
Well, what you mean to say here is, ignore any predudiced comments, except your own.
Or was it, nobody needs to learn anything, you've done all the testing for us.
My English interpretation skills have just atrophied
When Henry Ford, first introduced the model "T", he's alleged to have said, you can have it in any color you want, as long as it's black. Gosh, I long for simpler times, don't you.

I'm not the one bashing a distro over some deal they made with a company you have negative feelings about. That's pretty pathetic. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back