Which? magazine claims iPhone 7 comes last in battery life tests

Jos

Staff

Apple’s iPhone has never been a chart topper when it comes to battery life. Although by designing its own hardware and software the company is able to make its devices run efficiently, they also place a lot of emphasis in keeping them as svelte as possible, often staying away from larger batteries at the expense of longer runtime.

The new iPhone 7 has a higher-capacity battery than the iPhone 6s (1,960mAh vs. 1,810mAh) However, according to UK-based consumer testing organization Which?, the iPhone 7 still has the worst battery-life of all the current flagship smartphones.

The magazine compared Apple's 4.7-inch phone against the Samsung Galaxy S7, HTC 10, and LG 5 in a series of tests designed to simulate for everyday usage.

On the 3G call time test, the iPhone 7 managed 712 minutes, compared with 1,859 minutes for the HTC 10 and 1,759 and 1,492 minutes for the LG G5 and the Samsung Galaxy S7. It also lagged behind the Android phones for 3G internet use, though by a smaller margin, scoring 615 minutes, which was 25 minutes less than its nearest rival, the LG G5, 62 minutes less than the Samsung Galaxy S7 and and 175 minutes less than the top performing HTC 10.

The report doesn’t paint a pretty picture for Apple. In all fairness, it’s worth pointing out that the iPhone 7 is the smaller device in the comparison and thus battery size is more limited than its rivals — the 5.1-inch Samsung Galaxy S7 and 5.2-inch HTC 10 both pack a 3,000 mAh battery, while the 5.3-inch LG G5 has a 2,800 mAh battery. The 5.5" iPhone 7 Plus, which features a 2,900 mAh battery, wasn’t mentioned in the magazine’s test.

Our own iPhone 7 Plus review should be ready shortly so we’ll further put these battery claims into perspective by comparing them to a range of Android devices.

Permalink to story.

The iphone 7 is an average phone with average specs.
I hate apple, but I will admit that they don't skip on hardware. IPhone 7 is fairly high specd, it is the closes ecosystem and planned obsolesence that ruins their products

I have a 2008 MacBook that would disagree with your planned obsolescence claim about Apple products. It's not my main machine but it works just fine after a couple of updates (a battery replacement and an SSD). For smartphones, it's not as great as that but you can still get decent performance from a 5s released three years ago, and the phone retains better resell value than anything Android.

Although I'm using a Nexus 6P nowadays I can't say I have any complaints about the quality and durability of Apple products and the company's commitment to support them over the years. That's just been my personal experience.

I hate apple, but I will admit that they don't skip on hardware.

Lets compare the iPhone 7 to a 30 month old S5 and my new 1 year old S6, just for fun.

Battery:
Apple iPhone 7: 1960MaH (non replaceable)
Samsung S5: 2800MaH (replaceable)
Samsung S6: 2550 MaH (non-replaceable)

Resolution:
Apple iPhone 7: 750 X 1334
Samsung S5: 1920 X 1080
Samsung S6: 2560 X 1440

Screen Size:

Apple iPhone 7: 4.7"
Samsung S5: 5.1"
Samsung S6: 5.1"

RAM:
Apple iPhone 7: 2GB
Samsung S5: 2GB
Samsung S6: 3GB

Mobile Hotspot Ability:
Apple iPhone 7: No
Samsung S5: Yes
Samsung S6: Yes

Wireless Charging Ability:
Samsung S5: No

VR Capability:
Samsung S6: Yes (Supports official Samsung VR apps and headsets)

Mobile Hotspot Ability:

The iPhone 7 can hotspot. It's called "Personal Hotspot".
Also would a comparison between the iPhone 7 Plus and the Samsung counterparts be a fairer comparison? The Samsung devices mentioned are a similar size to a Plus, not a regular 7.

The iPhone 7 can hotspot. It's called "Personal Hotspot".
Also would a comparison between the iPhone 7 Plus and the Samsung counterparts be a fairer comparison? The Samsung devices mentioned are a similar size to a Plus, not a regular 7.

You mean their $1000 phone?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/9818,9816

Lol.

Battery:
7+: 2900 mAh
S7: 3600 mAh

Resolution:
7+: 1920 X 1080
S7: 2560 X 1600

RAM:
7+: 3GB
S7: 4GB

Talk Time:
7+: 21 Hours
S7: 27 Hours

MSRP:

7+: $969
S7: $799

VR Support:
7+: No
S7: Yes (Full Samsung VR support for Apps and Headsets)

Wireless Charging:
7+: No
S7: Yes

You don't pay for hardware, you pay for the brand and popularity, and ease of operation. Popularity is the #1 seller.

Last edited:

Lets compare the iPhone 7 to a 30 month old S5 and my new 1 year old S6, just for fun.

Battery:
Apple iPhone 7: 1960MaH (non replaceable)
Samsung S5: 2800MaH (replaceable)
Samsung S6: 2550 MaH (non-replaceable)

Resolution:
Apple iPhone 7: 750 X 1334
Samsung S5: 1920 X 1080
Samsung S6: 2560 X 1440

Screen Size:

Apple iPhone 7: 4.7"
Samsung S5: 5.1"
Samsung S6: 5.1"

RAM:
Apple iPhone 7: 2GB
Samsung S5: 2GB
Samsung S6: 3GB

Mobile Hotspot Ability:

Wireless Charging Ability:
Samsung S5: No

VR Capability:
Samsung S6: Yes (Supports official Samsung VR apps and headsets)
Do you think anyone really cares about VR? Its a gimmick that will go one enough people find out how sick it makes them. It can be a hotspot and you are now arguing over a pixel density that No one can notice. The resolution of the screens on these phones is getting ridiculous. Its nothing more than penis points.

Anyway, their phones are durable, use high quality displays, there cameras have been good enough for awhile to replace point-and-shoot cameras. Along side all this is a very fast SiC. The battery is not a surprise, everyone knew that was coming when said they were removing the headphone jack to make the phone smaller.

I'm not saying apple does not do dumb s***, but your arguments against the iphone aren't the ones you should be making.

Do you think anyone really cares about VR?
Yeah I do.
It's a mindblowing experience that will only grow.
I had the same opinion as you before I tried it.
If you haven't tried it or seen something like the Apatosaurus demo on a Samsung VR headset, then your opinion is weightless.

Its a gimmick that will go one enough people find out how sick it makes them.
Now thats just whining.
No one I know who has used it (even for a few hours) ever got sick or dizzy.
It is a mind-trip though.

The resolution of the screens on these phones is getting ridiculous. Its nothing more than penis points.
For VR 4k will make a nice difference.
And yes 1080p on a phone is a huge difference from 720p or QHD, and 2K compared to 1080p isn't as noticable but its better.

I'm not saying apple does not do dumb s***, but your arguments against the iphone aren't the ones you should be making.
I don't care about Apple my girl just traded in her iPhone 5 for a 7 and I helped recommend it to her.
I am just quoting raw data to compare what your getting.

The resale value of an old iPhone isn't because of its supreme quality - it's because there's a big Apple on the back of that smartphone.

The market's perception drives the price and nothing more. Kinda like a gas-guzzling, status-showing Hummer. Looks cool, really expensive, but everyone knows it's the stigma that dictates "value".

"Flagships" should just be called status symbol/fashion statements. In a nutshell, that's about
all they are...along with WAY overpriced. 800-1000 dollars for a flipping phone?
Oh! but it's so much more!!! camera, video recorder, mp3 player, web browser bla bla bla.
It's nothing more than a microwave oven. It does something. Period. I remember in the late
60's, microwave ovens started becoming the "in" thing to get. They were well over 1,000 dollars.
Now, every house pretty much has one and look how cheap they are. Cell phones, to an extent,
should be priced accordingly, but, as long as sheeple (apple/samsung) are willing to spend upwards
of 1,000 dollars on a stinking phone, you think the corporate people are going to change?
The last 2 smartphones I bought, one in early 2014, was 299.00 and had a 4,000mAH battery.
The one I bought 3 weeks ago, spec wise & benchmark wise stacks up to the flagships, and has
a 4,000mAH battery, was only 420.00
Until people say NO to these oversized fashion statements, the prices won't come down. From one
new model to another new model, it's just a minor increase in speed. Oh yeah, that extra 0.03 seconds
will make a HUGE difference....LMAO.

I hate apple, but I will admit that they don't skip on hardware. IPhone 7 is fairly high specd, it is the closes ecosystem and planned obsolesence that ruins their products

I have a 2008 MacBook that would disagree with your planned obsolescence claim about Apple products. It's not my main machine but it works just fine after a couple of updates (a battery replacement and an SSD). For smartphones, it's not as great as that but you can still get decent performance from a 5s released three years ago, and the phone retains better resell value than anything Android.

Although I'm using a Nexus 6P nowadays I can't say I have any complaints about the quality and durability of Apple products and the company's commitment to support them over the years. That's just been my personal experience.

That really does depend on what you are doing with that MacBook. I can't imagine that gaming or editing would be a pleasant experience on that 2008 MacBook. If all you are doing with the device is surfing the web and watching video than anything pretty much anything will suffice.

Retains better resale value? It really depends on the phone you are comparing it to. Pretty much any samsung galaxy has retained it's value very well. Yes there are plenty of other phones that drive in price but if anything that diversity is a boon. You can find great android devices at a fraction of the price. My Moto X Pure is a huge phone, bigger than the iphone 6 plus, and has excellent hardware. I only paid $140 for it. Had I purchased an iphone 6 plus instead I would be paying 3 times as much.

That really does depend on what you are doing with that MacBook. I can't imagine that gaming or editing would be a pleasant experience on that 2008 MacBook. If all you are doing with the device is surfing the web and watching video than anything pretty much anything will suffice.

Retains better resale value? It really depends on the phone you are comparing it to. Pretty much any samsung galaxy has retained it's value very well. Yes there are plenty of other phones that drive in price but if anything that diversity is a boon. You can find great android devices at a fraction of the price. My Moto X Pure is a huge phone, bigger than the iphone 6 plus, and has excellent hardware. I only paid $140 for it. Had I purchased an iphone 6 plus instead I would be paying 3 times as much.

If you are gaming or editing, you are either on a desktop or any very expensive laptop. I doubt something 8 years old is going to get you what today's tech can.

At any rate, a Moto X Pure for 140 is a pretty good deal when they start at 289.99.

Iphones have smaller batteries so they won't last as long. It also means they don't need a fast charge. Most of these junk android phones use more power than a non fast charging USB socket will produce meaning that unless you have fast charge, you can't charge and use your phone at the same time.

Although I would say this, the fact that you can replace the batteries on some android phones is commendable. It's often the only thing android has going for it.

Iphones have smaller batteries so they won't last as long. It also means they don't need a fast charge. Most of these junk android phones use more power than a non fast charging USB socket will produce meaning that unless you have fast charge, you can't charge and use your phone at the same time.
This whole paragraph is just garble.
None of anything stated here is true and much of it does not make sense.

Although I would say this, the fact that you can replace the batteries on some android phones is commendable. It's often the only thing android has going for it.
Yeah ok. (y)

:rolleyes:

Haha, it is actually true pal. I know it's an inconvenient truth but good luck charging an android phone using a 1v charger whilst at running Pokémon go. My iPhone on the other hand doesn't have any trouble with this...

Gutted.

Back