Which processor will it support?

I dont know the model number of the mother board. I only have some text written near the CPU. Please tell me the best processor that it will support.
One more think I know is there is something written as 40 12 XT
Please help me with it. Screenshot_20191122_164335.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191122_164335.png
    Screenshot_20191122_164335.png
    431 KB · Views: 3
We need to know which motherboard you have. There is a model labeled on the board. It is usually somewhere around the memory modules and CPU.

The socket is 478 which does help. But there was 3 different base clock which may have created 2 limitation within the socket.

• 400Mhz motherboards does not support 533 or 800 CPUs
  • 533MHz motherboards does not support 800 CPUs
  • 800MHz motherboards will support all frequencies.

And even then there could be OEM limitations. If the motherboard BIOS needs to be updated. Hopefully an updated BIOS can still be found on the Internet. That is if one was ever released by the motherboard maker.

I tried looking at the text on the CPU but it was not readable. That would have given a little detail as to the compatibility of the socket.

We need to know which motherboard you have. There is a model labeled on the board. It is usually somewhere around the memory modules and CPU.

The socket is 478 which does help. But there was 3 different base clock which may have created 2 limitation within the socket.

• 400Mhz motherboards does not support 533 or 800 CPUs
  • 533MHz motherboards does not support 800 CPUs
  • 800MHz motherboards will support all frequencies.

And even then there could be OEM limitations. If the motherboard BIOS needs to be updated. Hopefully an updated BIOS can still be found on the Internet. That is if one was ever released by the motherboard maker.

I tried looking at the text on the CPU but it was not readable. That would have given a little detail as to the compatibility of the socket.
Here the image of text on cpu is attached Screenshot_20191122_230505.png

That is a 400MHz CPU. Meaning it runs on 400MHz System bus. Unfortunately that doesn't tell us, if the motherboard will support 533 and/or 800.

Without knowing additional details about the motherboard I can not recommend getting anything other than 400MHz CPUs.

The 400MHz boards go up as far as 3GHz. So you can for sure get one better than a Celeron 1.7GHz. Search for socket 478 and P4 400Mhz CPU.

If you have any funds at all. It would serve you better to buy newer and get an i3. Sixty dollars would get a machine 20 times faster than Celeron 1.7@400 (10 times the P4 3.0). That is a large processing increase for only $60. Additional funds would certainly get you a better machine than even that one.

$70 for an i5 which is 4 cores. The i3 above is 2 cores with hyper-threading.

Back