Which processor will run programs better on my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg33

I have a Compaq Presario SR1520NX with a 754 socket. I currently have a AMD sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz processor and was planning on getting an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz Processor. The problem is that when I run my system under system requirements lab it says that my processor is rated at 3.10 GHz, this throws me off a bit because the requirement for the game would say 2.8GHz and mine would pass since its "rated" at 3.10GHz even though its a 1.8GHz. Now if I were to buy the 2.4GHz one, will it be rated even higher or no? Basically would the one that I want to get run programs and games better then the one I currently have. and if I do change processors will my performance be enhanced by a lot or will I bearly notice it?
Thank you for your time.

I believe you will notice a difference.

But you may also need to look at your Ram (How much Ram is installed ?)

As for the game ratings, well MS says windows can run on 128Meg, but would you ?

These minimum requirements are usually below minimum in my view.

You may wish to download System Specs to find out what you have.
Although this does not show your Power Supply maximum rating ( marked inside the case )

Also before doing anything it is advised to download the computers manual, to find out what the maximum size CPU you can put into that computer

I have 512mb of ram but I'm going to install 2gb of ram and take out the 512mbthat I have. I know that the AMD athlon 64 3400+ is compatible with my system, my only other option is this other processor there, but since it has been discontinued it costs around the 300's, so I might as well buy a new computer that already comes with a better processor. But I'm still confused about which processor would perform better. The whole rating thing threw me off since I have a 1.8GHz processor but its "rated" at 3.10GHz ( see my first post)whatever that means. Would the 2.4GHz processor be "rated" at a faster speed then what it is (like my 1.8 to 3.10?) Basically sholud I change processor for better performance?

sound like a report error to me 1.2 ghz clock speed is just that and no more
unless you over clocked and I doubt that
the newer cpu you refer to is way better not only in clock speed it's also 64bit
this helps alot
if you where moving up by say 200mhz I'd say get ram instead
since your getting ram anyway go for the faster processor
should not be that much if USD
newegg prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back