Why is the built-in webcam not detected

SaladFinger

I just got a second hand MSI CR600, everything works fine except for the webcam. It's not even detected by the computer. The computers original operating system was windows vista, but the fellow installed windows 7 on it, if it helps.

/Thank you for your time and consideration

I do I kind have the same problem, but when I checked "Problem devices" there was nothing there. My computer doesnt detect it at all.
I updated windows, I downloaded drivers update and updated all the drivers, and downloaded all missing drivers. still no luck. I did run the Microsoft "Fix it" repair, but it did not solve my problem.
Im so sad.

Sorry to hear :(

So when you've looked in Device Manager you don't see anything listed under Other or Image categories? Or do you see any devices with yellow icons anywhere? If none of the above, then yea, the cam is probably turned off (if that's possible), disabled in BIOS or dead :dead: Sorry :(

Hey welcome to Techspot :)

Your laptop origionally shipped with windows vista so maybe the wrong drivers are installed
Try the link below for the drivers for your laptop and you should see an option chipset etc on there and hopefully this may help update the drivers etc on your laptop. I kow the laptop uses the driver with the OS but at least you kow you will have the uptodate drivers.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/CR600.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 32

=>NOTE the OS i have selected here is Windows 7 32Bit. if you are unsure which version of windows 7 you are susing check the CoA key on the laptop or as the guy who installed it for you

Hope this helps.
James

Hi,

I have faced same problem just now but I solved it. Go to BIOS and restore all the settings to DEFAULT. It will solve the problem. Dont forget to thank me if this works :)

Regards,
Soujanya

Hi,

I have a problem in my built in camera, can you help me guys? what to do?
Thank you very much, I will greatly appreciated all, I like to see my family please...

This is an old thread, but I found my way here with a similar issue.
I tried most of the above without any luck.
Turns out I have to turn the camera on by pressing Fn+F10 on my Gigabyte P27Gv2 (so that's hold down the blue Fn key then press F10).

Can't believe how long I spent on this!

@ianh2105 -- YOU ARE A SAINT GOOD SIR. I made an account on this website just to say how stupid I was to spend hours trying to make my camera work. I already considered that my almost new laptop had a hardware defect!! I indeed had to press Fn+F10 and bam! it worked just outta no where. Ahh well, there went my long nights' sleep. Anyway, thanks for pointing out the ridiculously obvvious.... :)

Lmfao.. I had to come here and reply as well @travisjayday
because I had the same issue, and the fix was the same. Fn+f10 and BOOM, camera started functioning.

What's really crazy though, is that the fn+f10 is such a 'powerful' command that it actually removed "Imaging Devices > Webcam" from my Device Manager.. it pretty much removes the damn thing from being on my laptop practically. I guess that's a good thing, if its as though your laptop has NO webcam, then I suppose that would prevent people from hacking and viewing through your webcam if its not even recognized by the laptop as being installed whatsoever.

@travisjayday
Oh my gosh, created an account as well just to thank you guys and lament upon my miserable ignorance. I had nearly given up on this matter with my Gigabyte P15; as you guys said, nothing worked for me either, device manager, none, no driver, no problem device, I was at the verge of rebooting my PC after all the failed attempts. Fn+F10 saved my soul. How you can make the webcam device dissapear from "device manager" with one button is still a mystery to me, but it worked. Thanks.

Last edited:
Holy ****, I spent days trying to learn enough about my laptop to figure this out, and almost missed an interview, and @ianh2105 solves it in 30 seconds. Thank you so much.

Just made an account to thank you, @ianh2105. This was the only Google result that answers this question, and Gigabye's support/contact system is awful.

Just so future googlers find this page easier, imma keyword it up...

Gigabyte P55
Gigabyte P55W v7
Camera
Webcam
not working
won't recognize
device manager
driver
Gigabyte laptop
Integrated camera

Came here to say thank you to @ianh2105 for the solution & to @NoahJC for the keywords! You guys rock!!

Gigabyte P57

Just made an account to thank you, @ianh2105. This was the only Google result that answers this question, and Gigabye's support/contact system is awful.

Just so future googlers find this page easier, imma keyword it up...

Gigabyte P55
Gigabyte P55W v7
Camera
Webcam
not working
won't recognize
device manager
driver
Gigabyte laptop
Integrated camera

I want to thank you all, I'm tech saavy and this had my head breaking up like crazy.
I couldn't find it in device manager, I replaced drivers, checked BIOS, posted in several forums, many many many months had passed, and now I needed zoom for my kid's classes and I was about to throw this thing in the garbage and suddenly I ran to this forum and there it goes just FREAKING Fn+F6(MSI laptop) and it suddenly reconginzes it. What the hell where they thinking?? Like you unmount the camera with a totally random keyboard function I must have pressed a few months ago unknowingly and no indication on what the hell happened.

You guys saved me and I'm humbled by your wisdom.

Does anybody know what the equivalent function button combo would be for a Dell laptop? I'm having the same issue here, and have exhausted all other options at this point.

Thank you :)

On the Gigabyte P57 it's fn + F12, not F10 (which turns your screen off - bit of a scary moment there).

I just got a second hand MSI CR600, everything works fine except for the webcam. It's not even detected by the computer. The computers original operating system was windows vista, but the fellow installed windows 7 on it, if it helps.

/Thank you for your time and consideration
Did you say MSI??? Oh well I have a fix for that congratulations sir. Press function F6, simple as that.

Hey, had the same isue with MSI laptop, solved by fn+f6 (other f key for different brands), hope it helps

I've created an account just to say thank you so much, I do IT by day and this had totally stumped me, I'd presumed the actual camera board/connection had died. Unbelievable that this is the only place I found this information for my MSI laptop. Feeling pretty stupid that a shortcut as simple as that was the solution, but pretty cool it has this feature, to take it out of the BIOS is very surprising! The icon on the keyboard looks nothing like a camera, I presumed it was screen contrast. This solved it instantly.

This is an old thread, but I found my way here with a similar issue.
I tried most of the above without any luck.
Turns out I have to turn the camera on by pressing Fn+F10 on my Gigabyte P27Gv2 (so that's hold down the blue Fn key then press F10).

Can't believe how long I spent on this!
I had been searching for a solution to my webcam issue for 4 months now. Never ever did I think there was a short cut to enable/disable your webcam. 4 months of installing drivers and downloading software only to find out that I had to press Fn+F6 on my laptop (MSI). You sir, are an amazing human being and I can't thank you enough. If only I found this post 4 months ago :), thank you so much!!! @ianh2105

Hi! As you might guess, I have the same problem with my built in webcam. Sadly, on my laptop (acer) Fn+F10, or Fn+F6 won't work. 😔 Does anyone have another advice?

Back