Why upgrade to a new CPU?

I have a five year old I5 with 16 MB and a 1 tb ssd . What benifits do I get with a new processor this summer Like the same series ?

I use word processors, the internet and some very basic slideshow programs mostly as well as excell open office type also ? nothing large however.

thanks for your thoughts.

Sounds like you would not gain much by the change. I use a Xeon x5680 which was a $35 used chip upgrade to a previous x3550. This allowed me to go from 4c/8t to 6c/12c which was a bit of an improvement. I spent my money on a better SSD and a better GPU. Otherwise, I really ought to do a clean install of Windows 10, but that is all I have planned until I make a big (and expensive) leap into a Ryzen next Spring.

While older hardware usually works fine for simple tasks, gamers will always benefit from newer hardware because more power means better graphics. If you're stuck on DDR3 RAM, running out of USB headers, or want faster data transfers a new motherboard with a new CPU will give whole new life to your PC

I have a five year old I5 with 16 MB and a 1 tb ssd . What benifits do I get with a new processor this summer Like the same series ?

I use word processors, the internet and some very basic slideshow programs mostly as well as excell open office type also ? nothing large however.

thanks for your thoughts.
It would have helped to tell us which i5 CPU that you have. I'm reading "5 years old", as a "Skylake" part, i5 6xxx. These do support DDR-4 memory, and the board should have USB 3.0 connections.

In reality though, the tasks you have outlined could almost as easily be done with a Core 2 Duo such as an E-8xxx or even an E-7100 relic.

Should you imagine using a DAW, video rendering, or heavy gaming with the most recent AAA titles, and upgrade might be useful. With respect to the gaming aspect, a high end video card would most likely be of much greater value than a few extra MB of CPU clock speed

Of course, some folks buy Ferrari's to go to the corner store. They enjoy it and they can afford it.
Unfortunately, , some of those Ferrari owners often feel obliged to boor others of lesser means to tears with their shiny new over compensations for a mid life crisis. Not saying that has ever happened here. Or has it? :confused:

(I'm speaking figuratively, of course).

Having had 3 free rides in F's, thanks to rich friends, all I can say is "thanks". The owner of each one was proud and delighted with his car. Each of these guys had worked hard, employed lots of people in businesses they built and they finally were taking the time and spending money to have a rather shiny bit of fun.

I'm still happy with my 30 year old Volvo.

Having had 3 free rides in F's, thanks to rich friends, all I can say is "thanks". The owner of each one was proud and delighted with his car. Each of these guys had worked hard, employed lots of people in businesses they built and they finally were taking the time and spending money to have a rather shiny bit of fun.
Ah yes, but could these have merely been "test runs", to gauge the emotional impact on a more elusive prey, the "woman 25 years younger than me", who will eventually ruin their business and marriage.

(Don't mind me, I have to rely on my own embitterment and case hardened cynicism for entertainment).

I'm still happy with my 30 year old Volvo.
And I'm ecstatic with my 23 YO Suzuki "Sidekick". One of these days I may even pop the front cap off and drive it as a convertible, assuming I can come up with the ambition.

As an even further off topic side note, I always wanted a ride in a friend's 12 cylinder E-Jag, but it was never out of the shop long enough to make the connection.

I'm using a ~6 year old i7 4790K. Still doing AAA gaming a bit and I do love to build. Nothing has compelled me to replace it because most newer CPUs are relatively minor upgrades for gaming. But I will upgrade to a Zen 3 when they release. For me, it's almost time. But that's "want" and not really "need".

But really, it's my chipset aging. I also want all nvme drives but without a bunch of adapters. My z97 board can't do full nvme speed without a pci-e adapter.

Back