Why was the page index links removed from forum topics?

Per Hansson

Staff member
Why was the page index links removed from forum topics?

Before you could open a forum section and threads that had multiple pages also had corresponding buttons after them, so you could go to the page of your choice...

See here for example: News & Interesting links

Scroll down untill you see the topic "IT salaries in India and USA contrasted" It has 113 replies... But no buttons after it, so if I want to go to the last page I first have to click it, wait for it to load, and then click on the last page button...

To say the least this is pretty annoying when you are on dialup...

See here on 3drealms forums, that is the way I want it to be setup.. Including the "All" button which displays all replies in one single page without "pages"

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10

Yes, I posted this too because it's just a little inconvenient. Julio didn't do anything when I asked... I got used to it now, but every so often I wish those page numbers were back.

I had wondered about it, hasn't been that much of a problem, but I can see it being a very big issue for those on dialup(hasn't been so long ago I was one of those forsaken souls)

Oh yes, while I'm at it; Would it be possible to add a number to each reply in a thread?

Some forums have this feature and it's quite convenient to just remember that numer and scroll down when there has been new replies....

I remember I had those removed a few months ago hoping to get a more uncluttered forum display page but I have put them back now... I'd prefer to hear some more opinions regarding this though, whether you prefer we leave these on or off.

Leave them on, please. With the larger threads you tend to read them several times, but you do not want to have to see that same first page over and over. With certain threads that may have huge amounts of text or pictures in them (Large discussions or the desktop photo threads, et cetera) it gets tedious loading those pages again and again. It's handy to have a quick button to jump to the very last page.

Thanks Julio for bringing them back, it's allot better IMO

Would it be possible to add an "all" button that will display all replies on one page no matter how many they are?

And also the number feature, i.e. first reply gets numer 1, 2 gets 2 etc etc etc?

For myself (thus far) the page index wouldn't have made that big a difference......BUT as long as the last post button is there, I'd be happy. That's the main link I use.

My $.02

yes, leave them, it makes it a lot easier to sort through long threads, especially for those forsaken few still using dialup, especially poor Vehementi.

I love the page index feature. I survived without it, but I definitely use them when they're there.

Back