Wi-Fi Range Extender

Narinesa

I have a linksys router EA4500 with wi-fi dual band.
I restrict the wi-fi access to MAC address only.
(That is, only certain MAC address can access my wi-fi and no password needed).

Now I have a netgear Nighthawk range extender model EX7000 AC1900 dual band.
I want this range extender to work with my linksys MAC setup.
I input the netgear mac address into linksys access.
It seems to work on a wired configuration.
I want it to work on a wireless wi-fi configuration but can't get it to work.

Any way I can get this to work ?
Any other system or brand I can use with my MAC restriction ?

You probably have different MAC addresses for the wired and wireless NIC in the range extender. To find it turn off your MAC authentication, connect the device, then look for the second MAC in your DHCP lease table. Add it to your ACL and it should work.

EA4500 how are you using this smart router? Is that the main router or is it going to be access point. I own this one and the 4200 which I can't get both them to work for some odd reason they cancel each other out. No matter how I set them both up. EA4500 might not work with the Nighthawk either. Are you running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? But EA4500 is only 450/450 where the AC is lot higher you should be alright with the Night Hawk in use only.. AC1900 vs N900.

I turned the MAC control OFF the EA4500 and connected the EX7000 extender
It picked up 3 MAC addresses.
I added all 3 MAC addresses to the EA4500 and reset the MAC control
It only works wired cat5 - not wireless.
EA4500 is a smart wi-fi. I am using it both as an access point and wi-fi for both 2.4 and 5GHz
I want the EX700 to be used only as a wi-fi (to extend my wi-fi)

Don't know what is a DHCP lease table or ACL. Sorry, limited computer background.

EX7000 should be your main router and WiFi..
EA4500 should be only your access point WiFi you need to run Ethernet to the EA4500 from EX7000.
On EA4500 you disable the DHCP, NAT, all Firewalls, VPN, You create a static IP address for this access point. You grap the IP and MAC and add to the reserved clients for EX7000 those are for Static IP address.
SSD: Net1 2.4GHz
SSD: Net2 5GHz

Under EX7000 what happens when you try to connect all your clients to the EX7000 under WiFi is the signal strong or is it weak?
EA4500
SSD: Net3 2.4GHz
SSD: Net4 5GHz

You run into the issue with the conflict on EA4500 using same SSD: The Marvel chipset int the EA4500 seems to cut and drop when you run anything ton the same SSD.It's very strange Smart Router. So you use MAC to block out others clients?

Have limited router experience.
Which is a better router with extended range wi-fi Linksys EA4500 or netgear EX7000 ?
I am a bit uneasy about reversing the routers to use EX7000 as my main router at this time since I am already familiar with Linksys.
But will consider same or at least switch to the EX7000 as my main router. I hope it has a MAC filter.
I use MAC filter to allow other neighbors to use my system without a password.
If I gave them a password, then the entire neighborhood will be on my system.

For my personal use, I use Nord VPN with a Linksys 3200 ACM router connected to my DSL modem

MINDLESS. In the router that has the DHCP duties, it should obey the MAC allow/disallow setting regardless of the connection type.

Additionally, just because there's a MAC->IP reservation, that should never imply access without giving the password.

IMO, it's time to acquire something better that a Vaporware $1.95 piece of equipment.

Have limited router experience.
Which is a better router with extended range wi-fi Linksys EA4500 or netgear EX7000 ?
I am a bit uneasy about reversing the routers to use EX7000 as my main router at this time since I am already familiar with Linksys.
But will consider same or at least switch to the EX7000 as my main router. I hope it has a MAC filter.
I use MAC filter to allow other neighbors to use my system without a password.
If I gave them a password, then the entire neighborhood will be on my system.

For my personal use, I use Nord VPN with a Linksys 3200 ACM router connected to my DSL modem

This would explain your network infrastructure issues. Why did you buy Netgear Ex7000 you would need to check it's Web Admin or get android app for it if your on android cell. Make it easier for you to setup the device via router admin access. I like EA4500 until it fails then I'll consider moving up one. Of course WiFi Routers or Wired Routers non-WiFi Router all never last as long. Yet today we have newer tech. But in your case your allowing others to access your network without a password. So you already have EA4500 handling a group of people. So your issue was originally you are not getting good range in WiFi or you just wanted something more powerful than the EA4500? No matter what router you use EX7000: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000_UM_21dec2014.pdf

That's the manual on this router if you don't have one.. 2014 router...

Back