WiFi and modem dilemas so frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello thanx for the acceptance.
Ok first and foremost i own a gateway out of warranty Xp series.
dsl modem works just fine i am currently on it surfin the web on my desktop.
when i plug it into my laptop it will not recognize i assume bcuz i cannot surf the web. even tho the light on the ethernet socket lights up.
i have another laptop that when i do the same it works perfectly. ok heres the biggy.

When i search for my router it wont even show up m neighboors router or any other wireless connections, even the connections that dont belong to me.
i have no idea nad been callin intel and gateway and want me to pay $199 due to out of warranty issues . I Am gratefully thankfull to all and any who view this thread and share there info , god bless.

ok i was reading some other thread to c if i can find the answer , but i found out u may need this information,..... under my device mangaer /network adapters i have this
1394 net adapter
direct parallel
intel(r)PRO/1000 PL Network Connection(with a yelllow cicrle exclamtion)
INTEL(R)PRO/WIRELESS 3945ABG NETWORK CONNECTION(with a yelllow cicrle exclamtion)
and six Wan MIniports ... aswell as when i type ipconfig IPCONFIG /ALL on the cmd i gget this

windows ip configuration

C:\documents and settings\owner

hope this other extra info helps u to help me - also when i try to install a new version on the 3945abg wireless pro it says installation fails evry time i d.l again from intel. also when i double click on the pro wireless intel 3945abg i get a pop up that says ADAPTER STATE NOT FOUND IN REGISTRY PLEASE HELP ME
AND THE PROWIRLESS TOOL SAYS. " NO SUPPORTED WIRELESS ADAPTERS AVAILABLE IN THE SYSTEM.... "

aswell as when i type ipconfig IPCONFIG /ALL on the cmd i gget this

windows ip configuration

Bingo! The above indicates you are missing the network drivers on your computer! (Re-confirmed by what you report in your Device Manager)

Suggest you go this driver thread to go to the Gateway web site. Look up your specific computer model and download / install the network d

Two things to do please:

1. Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

2. Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Network
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_109A&SUBSYS_0281107B&REV_00\4&192AC53F&0&00E0 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10008086&REV_02\4&20975680&0&00E1 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

here you go i just want to thank you so much for taking time out of your day and helping me to resolving my issue thank you so much

Hey... want to reply to at least give you an update.. (tho not yet necessarily a solution)

Here's an update
1. For (the still to be determined reason) you are getting error code 31 from XP device manager for EACH of the two network adapters
2. Is odd that you get this error code on BOTH of your network adapters (LAN and wireless)
3. Both physical network adapters are detected in your hardware and drivers have been installed yet Windows reports neither of them will load

Here's something quick can try
  • Click Start->Run, enter: devmgmt.msc to open device manager
  • Look under Network Adapters to find both of your network adapters listed (and you'll see the yellow icon also indicating the device driver problem)
  • Rt click Properties, it reports error code 31, right?
    => Under General tab, Click the Troubleshoot button to see if it can help you locate the problem
    => I would've also suggested trying under Driver tab, the Update Drivers button.. but will only work if you have SOME type of network connection in the first place :(

In the meantime.. i will look at the drivers i see loaded on your computer and the actual network adapters to see if i spot a problem between the two

btw. how did you go about installing drivers given your network adapters aren't working? Did you physically transfer files between computers? Or do you have another network connection? Or... ?

/* EDIT */
I just looked back and see you also have a 1394 network adapter (commonly called Firewire). If you're using it for a network connection go ahead and try the Update Driver button mentioned above. ALSO you can rt click it in Device Manager, disable it and reboot. Just in case it is impacting the other network drivers from loading

Any update? I thought best wait to hear back if you had any luck yet before i start looking at the drivers you have currently loading and your network hardware details. Checking for an update to make sure we're not each waiting to hear from the other!

o hi thanx so much for helping me out - sorry i have been stuck with doing my community hours at this church and school other things i havent had time to even check my email since i last posted - o get this- for some weird reason when i go into dev.mangr my intel pro wireless netwrk connection in the general tab! says that this device is working properly as well as for my other intel pro 1000 pl connection - yet i still cant get online thru wifi - or thru connecting my dsl str8 thru my laptop no luck - once again thanx so much i signed up to 5 other forums and your the only one who is really helpiing - or written to that matter even written back - thanx !!

my intel pro wireless netwrk connection in the general tab! says that this device is working properly as well as for my other intel pro 1000 pl connection - yet i still cant get online thru wifi - or thru connecting my dsl str8 thru my laptop no luck
1. So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that you if you run msinfo32 command again (the results from it below i copied from post #5 in this thread. See right hand side of post header for the post #). If you see problem devices, please post

2. Suggest to first focus on getting the connection working over wired connection (far viewer varirables.) So if you had no problem devices in step 1 above, please do another ipconfig /all and post that result here so we can take a look

Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_109A&SUBSYS_0281107B&REV_00\4&192AC53F&0&00E0 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10008086&REV_02\4&20975680&0&00E1 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

If, in fact, ipconfig /all comes up blank could you double check what Device Manager reports for your network adapters? As it's very very odd for ipconfig /all to be blank if in fact the network adapter drivers are installed and running

To double check, click on the thumbnails below to see each of the full size pics
1. In Device Manager, rt click on the network adapter to get a context menu

2. Select Properties and verify device status is "Working Properly"

3. Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command prompt window. Then enter ipconfig /all to see something like

Thanks for the pics if only 'cuz this is a new one. Like i said, i don't think ive seen a "blank" ipconfig before when the drivers appear to be installed! (and btw... am happy to try and help :) )

So in tackling this problem.. it'll still be best to test/report on your wired connection as that should be straight forward and with fewer variables to debug. So for any future testing if you could please:
=> Connect your DSL modem and your computer with an Ethernet cable
=> Be sure test with the ethernet connection and then report its status/errors etc. (That would be the Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection adapter)

Follow these steps and complete them in the order given

1. Just to double check... reboot and then recheck ipconfig /all info if there or not
  2. Go to Windows Update, run Express updates and make sure all XP SP2 are applied
  3. Got to Windows Update again. Run Custom updates and make sure any updates for both of your network adapters are applied. (If you see any hardware or other Custom updates you're not certain about, just let me know)
  4. Take a close look at your DSL modem. Should be a metallic tag on it that states the manufacturer, make and model. Please tell me
  5. Click Start->Run, enter msinfo32
    • Check again if any Componenents->Problem Devices and copy/paste any that appear
    • In msinfo32, please click then copy/paste each of the following
      => Components->Network->Adapter
      => Components->Network->Winsock

k ima go head n do all of this but what do you mean when u say this

=> Be sure test with the ethernet connection and then report its status/errors etc. (That would be the Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection adapter)

I just mean that if you are going to test the Internet connection or you want to point out details on adapter status/codes/errors etc. let's first focus on the wired connection and get that working first (so only need take pics etc. of wired LAN adapter. not wireless adapter until after we get wired to work)

obtw have you noticed that on the second attachemnt i sent you that it say that the channel selection for an ad hoc 802.11a adapter is disabled ./...... does this mean anything? i hope so maybe this is the problem i am not so sure? thanx again

obtw have you noticed that on the second attachemnt i sent you that it say that the channel selection for an ad hoc 802.11a adapter is disabled ./...... does this mean anything? i hope so maybe this is the problem i am not so sure? thanx again
IEEE 802.11 is a family of protocol standards defining Wireless Local Area Network protocols (WLAN)
(IEEE = Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
=> 802.11b and 802.11g are the two most widely implemented and used of WLAN protocol standards today
=> So you really only care about have 802.11b and 802.11g ad hoc channels defined. You won't be using the 802.11a protocol for your WLAN

fyi... Just in case you've heard talk about (or might have seen in computer stores) "Wireless N" routers. This refers to the IEEE 802.11n protocol. The point is to be wary of these products because 802.11n is not yet standardized and signed off on yet!

This means
  • Every vendor implemented their own variation of the not yet standardized 802.11n
  • You probably need BOTH a) the vendor's N router PLUS b) that same vendor's N wireless adapter on your wireless device for the device and the router to talk using the faster/better N standard. But that means you would need buy an N adapter for each of your wireless devices plus the N router if you want each device to take advantage of the N router
  • If you simply bought a vendor's N router and continued to use your 802.11b/g wireless card the router would only be using the 802.11g anyway (the new routers support both 802.11g/n.. maybe 802.11b also)
    => If you had an 802.11n router from vendor A and an 802.11n adapter from vendor B you have no guarantee the two could communicate using 802.11n because they don't have to implement the exact same thing as there is STILL NO 802.11n standard!

ok so heres whut happened .. i went into the system icon and under aoutomatic updates i cant find any tab or anything that says , express... or run custom ... and dont i need to b connected to the internet on my laptop to run them ? thanx.... to run the updates that is?

obtw look at these, these looks weird to me. on my friends laptop ... a totally difrrent one.. its a dell , mines is a gateway, she has 2... a wireless internet con. and a lan,.... take a look at what i have....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back