WiFi prob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me be honest i duno the difference between wi-fi and wireless. I hope its the same thing. Anyway my prob is i

downgraded from Vista to XP and now i cannot get the icon for wireless connections at the bottom-right of the

screen.

i was wondering if i will be able to connect to a wifi hotspot or any existing internet connection close to me.

any help will be appreciated....thx

I believe during the dowgrading process i have lost the driver for wifi or something like that..

anyway my system specs are : Toshiba s4747... Windows XP..

go into the properties of the network connection for wireless and check the little box that says display icon on task bar.

i went in network connections and there is no icon for wireless
there are 3 icons

1394- connection
3g - connection
( my braodband )

Ah so you are not missing the task bar icon. See if you can find your wireless card in Device Manager. If 3g is for connecting to your broadband I presume it is a LAN connection?

well im using wireless data card to connect to internet at this moment but another employee at my workplace is picking up a Netgear connection without any ISP and i was like how come i cant pick up that connection.... then someone told me u are missing that icon for wireless and hence the driver....so thas where i got this idea that i need a driver to make it work.

Now toshiba website dont have a wifi driver for xp system..... so im at a loss here....

I do not see the wireless icon in the device manager....
In the Network adapters i see 1394 Net Adapter

Then in the Other devices i see ? yellow question mark for :
1) ethernet controller
2) mass storage controller
3) modem device on high definition audio bus

Then in the Other devices i see ? yellow question mark for :
1) ethernet controller
2) mass storage controller
3) modem device on high definition audio bus

Number 1 is going to be your wireless card. It has no driver and therefore will not function. If Toshiba does not provide an XP driver for your card, you will need to find out the manufacturer of the card and then go directly to their website to look for a compatible driver. Consult your laptop's manual or Google for what specific wireless radio is in your laptop.

If it is an Atheros-based card, you won't have much trouble finding a driver. Same for an Intel-based card. Other cards, you might have more trouble with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back