Will the GTX 560 work for me?

But-ninja

Hi everybody

I am wondering about this GPU I wanna buy a Nvidia GeForce GTx 560 because it's in my price range

* Is it compatible with my current hardware ?
* Is it a good choice over my currently installed GPU ? ( meaning will it make a big difference in games I play like Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3 ? any newer games as well)
* Does the power supply suffice ? ( I do not have allot of money if it is not necessary to upgrade I do not wish to do so)

Thank you and if this GPU is not a good choice is there any other one you can recommend that is in my budget and that is good with the high graphics games that I play
2500 ZAR (south african rand) or just in case ( 300 USD ) (190 GBP)

Motherboard : MSI PH61A - P35
CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K
GPU (current) : Nvidia GTS 250
RAM : Kingston 4 GB
PSU: Coolermaster 550 Watt
HDD: Seagate 1.5 TB

Thank you all very much for your help :D

Yes on all counts.
I don't know anything about GPU prices in SA but $300/£190 sounds like a lot for a GTX 560... unless you mean one of the Ti variants (560Ti 448 > 560Ti > 560). There's quite a big performance and pricing difference between those three 560's.

Maybe prices in SA are just a lot higher (import tariffs, whatever), I think I've seen someone from SA mention that on here before years ago. Or maybe it was another country. Anyway, I suspect there are a lot of places in the world that can't get technology as cheap as those of us in most european countries, north america, and japan/china...

Maybe prices in SA are just a lot higher (import tariffs, whatever), I think I've seen someone from SA mention that on here before years ago. Or maybe it was another country. Anyway, I suspect there are a lot of places in the world that can't get technology as cheap as those of us in most european countries, north america, and japan/china...

Yes unfortunately prices are really high in SA . At least a few places don't utterly rip us off

Yes on all counts.
I don't know anything about GPU prices in SA but $300/£190 sounds like a lot for a GTX 560... unless you mean one of the Ti variants (560Ti 448 > 560Ti > 560). There's quite a big performance and pricing difference between those three 560's.

Thanks for your help

BTW it's a leadtek Gtx 560 ti 2Gb is this one good?

BTW it's a leadtek Gtx 560 ti 2Gb is this one good?

If it's 2GB then that's actually a very reasonable price and similar to UK prices. But if you're running single screen and don't have loads of mods for your games (e.g. Skyrim) then the 1GB version will be just as fast and cheaper.

I wouldnt recommend a 1GB card with a 560Ti, its not worth the price. It may be cheaper but more and more games are using over 1GB and it will make your card become outdated much, much faster.

I wouldnt recommend a 1GB card with a 560Ti, its not worth the price. It may be cheaper but more and more games are using over 1GB and it will make your card become outdated much, much faster.
I'd disagree, you'd run out of GPU power before the 1GB VRAM became a limiting factor.

If the price difference between the 1GB and 2GB versions is small then you might as well get the 2GB one but generally
there's quite a big premium for double VRAM cards, in which case you'd be better off with a GTX 570.

I mean its whatever. theres no reason not get a 2GB if you have the money. a 1GB wont hinder much performance, but a 2GB will extend the life of the card.

It appalls me that they still make any 1GB cards, especially since 50 dollar HTPC cards have 2GB.

Okay guys Like I said I don't know allot about graphics cards I want one that will last long but still deliver great graphics to new and upcoming games.so ? both are in my price range just trying to figure out which one to buy

The 560 ti ? (has a reasonable price)

or The 560 2GB ?( Is actually a tad cheaper )

If it comes to it that I make more money than I expect from what I am selling will it be a good choice to get a gtx 570 instead and just upgrade my Power supply ?( or will my 550 watt be enough ?)

Thanks again you guys really help me

instead of a 560ti, maybe look into the HD7850 from AMD. It would perform around the same as a 570, at the price of a 560ti. and If you end up with more money, look into the 7870, or maybe a 6950?
also, a solid 550W PSU will be fine for any of those cards.

hmm ... I didn't even think about the AMD cards Thanks guys I think im getting a Gigabyte HD 7850 :D Low price too

Back