Will there ever be any other Popular OS developed?

JJ Shephard

I enjoy using and working with each of the 3 main popular operating systems. Linux, MAC OS and Windows, but my question is, are there any other operating systems for PCs being developed from the ground up which don't trace its heritage to either Windows NT or Unix?

Assuming there isn't, I'm sure a Linux distro could also be well developed to branch off to better compete with Microsoft and Apple, if there is enough commitment/support and perhaps financial backing.
Personally I don't have a problem handling Linux distros, however being in IT I meet a lot of end-users who wouldn't touch Linux with a 20 foot barge pole, even-though I do try to win some of them over, but it never sticks and the reasons vary quite a bit.

Perhaps with newer technologies emerging, especially with new ways of input (touch, speech etc.) and output (e.g. mobile devices) the desktop computer experience will see a decline in use over the next decade. In my opinion the technology is being dictated by where money can be made the most and alas it seems that most people find that entertainment is a huge necessity for them and thus the market will supply the demand and other sectors will see less development.

Any thoughts?

Back