Win XP Crashes - How do I stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

Hey everybody,

I built this rig one year ago. Now whenever I attempt to copy a large file (500,000 MB or greater) windows crashes. I don't get the BSOD but a dialog box appears and explains:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
It then goes on to say you can send error report or don't send.

I opened the Device Manager to see if there were any drivers that were not installed correctly or not installed at all. It did not appear that any of the drivers had the yellow question mark. I have several network adapters disabled, which contain the red "X" next to them.

I am trying to figure out if there is an "Crash Log" (not sure if that is the correct term) where I can view information about what is happening. I would like to be able to look at the log and then discern why it is happening and what i can do to stop it.

Here's my specs:

Asus P5B Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
2x1 GB DDR2-SDRAM -> PNY
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Windows XP Professional SP3

I am in the process of reading those articles. Thanks for the info kimsland. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks Kimsland!

~I read up on those articles that you gave me. I downloaded the symbols and Microsoft debug tools.

I figured out that the crash was caused by a program that was not fully uninstalled. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back