Win XP won't install

Foe42

i am trying to install xp pro to a new system build and xp keeps giving my a pci.sys b4 i even get to the drive selection for the install no other cards installed jsut an ASUS p5g41-m lx2 MOBO with 2gb ram from pqi and a deskstar HDD any thoughts ??

none but i have used an image of a known working install with sp3. it jsut goes throught boot loop and won't show the logo screen i am thinking video card b/c monitor loses signal where teh logo should be

If your disc does not have atleast sp2 on it it will not recognize pci. I'm sorry but I do not know what you mean by you have used an image of a known working install with sp3. Give me the details please of exactly what you did.

i had anothe rpc running XP with SP3 on it and made a cloned drive and installed it into the system instead of doing an install.

i had anothe rpc running XP with SP3 on it and made a cloned drive and installed it into the system instead of doing an install.

I could be wrong as I sometimes am but, I do not believe you can use the clone on a different computer than the one windows was initially installed on. You can switch drives but not motherboards. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

I would recommend you slipstream sp3 into a disc and install from there. I honestly believe this will solve the issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial154.html

What does this mean? Perhaps I've taken it out of context but I can't figure it out.

I believe he means he is getting a pci.sys bsod when installing windows. That is what I gathered anyway..That may be incorrect however.

Sorry for the double post.. meant to edit and not create a new one.

Correction. You will need sp2 to recognize pci express. Not sp1 as I previously stated. Sorry for the mis-info

What does this mean? Perhaps I've taken it out of context but I can't figure it out.
pci.sys error you get when starting your computer and Windows tries to load never seen it during Setup

none but i have used an image of a known working install with sp3. it jsut goes throught boot loop and won't show the logo screen i am thinking video card b/c monitor loses signal where teh logo should be

Can you please make it clear what CD you are using to install XP? If you saved an image of a hard drive with XP SP3 installed on another system and burned the image on to a CD, DVD or another drive, you cannot use that to "install" XP on another system or any system for that matter, you need an original XP CD.

EDIT:

Never saw this one LOL ... will not work specially with different motherboard, chipset ETC., if you HAVE to, You need to uninstall few entries related to that systems components from the Add/ Remove Programs and delete the ENUM entrires in all in the Registry then turn the system OFF, move the drive and keep your fingers crossed, too many problem could come up, try to get a working XP CD with preferably SP3 slipstreamed as ruready2 suggested

i have swapped out hard drives into a new build and have them work just fine in the past. that why i tried it this time. not sure what is going on i will try to slip stream sp3 i am using an install disc from original release.

You were just lucky that is all, the components happened to work. Next time you are installing XP look at the screen when it says detecting hardware and or plug and play hardware, I believe you agree that not ALL the systems have the same or compatible hardware with ALL other systems.

Let us know how it went.

You are welcome for the help. As i suspected your windows disc was not current enough to enable your computer to recognize pci express slots. Happy Surfing!!

Back