Win2000 upgrade to XP Pro - User Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded a PC from 2000 to XP Pro. The PC has 5 users on it (Administrator, Liz, Ron, Asp.net and Guest). If I log into user "Liz" and then right click the "Start" button and then click "Open", Explorer opens and the path shows "C:\Documents and Settings\Guest-1\Start Menu", all other ID's show "C:\Documents and Settings\" user id "\Start Menu". This is very confusing for Liz as all files are being placed in the wrong directories. I have no idea how this happened. Does someone know of a way to correct Liz's account? In Win2000 (and now in XP), Liz is an administrator and installed the OS and all software. When I viewed the registry I see Guest-1 in keys for paths thur out it including her current user keys. In the other users I only see "Guest-1" in keys other than current user. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ron

try going back to add new users change account settings and reset the password for that admin account ,may force it to back where it belongs.
ps I am new to xp,just did fresh intall
had to fix admin settings already
wow I post too fast

you can rename the login anyway you like from the CP-> Users Accounts,
but the files stay where they are.

There is a VERY complicated 'regedit' to rename the directories,
but I highly recommend against it! It's just too easy to mess-up

To make it easier to locate "Liz", use an Admin Account,
make a shortcut to the existing directory,
rename the shortcut to Liz,
and move to \Documents and Settings\

Navigating via \Documents and Settings\Liz will always land in the correct place.

Another workaround

When you are logged into another account that had admin. priviledge, locate the folder C:\Documents and Settings\, highlight the folder,right-click, & select Copy. Then paste the folder into the root of your C drive. Rename the folder to something intuitive (I suggest Liz_Profile).

Now go into your control panel and create a new user named Liz and give that account admin. priviledge. Go to Start->Log off. Then sign on as Liz and navigate to the folder we copied to the root of your C drive. Cut & paste this folder to Liz's desktop.

Note: Make sure you have enabled viewing hidden files so you can see all the hidden files/folders in the profile. Make special note of the folders: My Documents, Favorites, and Desktop. Move the contents of these folders into the corresponding folders in Liz's profile (path: C:\Documents and Settings\Liz\)

If you have Microsoft Outlook configured to archive old emails, you will also need to move her archive. By default, Outlook puts a file named archive.pst into the directory C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Local Settings\Microsoft\Outlook. Move this file into the corresponding folder in Liz's profile and you should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back