Win32/Heur and Win32/Alureon - still here after 8-step process followed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iresfrank2

Hello all, I hope someone can seriously help me as I need to get my laptop working so I can feed my family. AVG originally found the win32/Heur and Win32/Alureon.

I removed AVG and rescanned using Avast! (as recommended by Julio) but am still crippled.

I have followed Julio's 8-Step preliminary process.

I have attached the following called-for files:
- Malware Bytes Log
- Superantispyware Log
- Hijackthis log

I will check again in a day or two with hopes someone can tell me what I should do next. Am afraid of removing anything else without expert assistance.

It appears that you are running both the Norton and AVG antivirus programs. This is not recommended as the two programs often conflict with each other. Please download the Norton removal tool from here. Run the program and follow all the prompts, then rerun HijackThis and post a new log.

Norton and AVG were uninstalled

Hi - I think you have made a good observation. Problem is I uninstalled Norton (which came with my Dell last year!) more than a year ago! Any remnants lingering are parts of a long-ago uninstalled program.

The uninstall tool wants me to tell it "Which Version" and I have not used Norton at all on this Laptop (except for what came with it which I had uninstalled)

Also - AVG was uninstalled using the "Uninstall" utility. And I then had to use AVG Remover tool on top of that. Apparently neither uninstall successfully removed everything.

Do I use the Norton removal tool and just take a "BEST GUESS" that maybe its the 2008 version??

Uninstalled all remnants of Norton - now will gry AVG

Okay I think I got remaining remnants of Norton/Symantec out with the removal tool. I am now re-running the AVG removal tool - seems all that remains is the part that belonged to "AVG Toolbar" that appears in the browser.

Any other suggestions besides me calling Dell and formatting HD and reinstalling everything (ouch) I cringe at the thought and am trying to avoid that if possible.

ALSO - Since I have the PAID VERSION of AVG Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware (not free version) and had downloaded AVAST! just for comparison (last couple of scans found nothing but things are still not working right. IE and FIREFOX will redirect to random websites regardless of what I type in) -

I decided to uninstall Avast! (which seemed to go well and much easier) and Re-Install AVG. I think I needed to do this anyway as the original uninstall of AVG left remnants on the harddrive. I am also notifying AVG tech support of the issue as these worms/trojan horses should not be getting past their system - - -

Still holding hope someone can direct me from here. 8:34 am on East coast and my beard has not been shaved since Thursday from working on this issue!!

I want to thank everyone that may have taken time to review my posts. I decided to cough up the $129.00 and have Dell Tech take care of this. I'm glad I did too. I have been watching as they "Remote Assist" and its AMAZING how many anti-virus, anti-trojan horse removal tools they had to run simultaneously to kill the bug I have. He's running some 5 programs to kill this beast as I type this.

This is a great web site but I just could NOT WAIT as I need this Laptop to give POWERPOINT presentations next week and was running out of time.

Keep up the good work - at least we tried.

A comment: you have posted 5 times in 23 hours. No one who has problems wants to wait! But logs are reviewed line by line by trained malware helpers. That takes time. There were others before you.

So the sarcasm isn't appreciated- neither is the yelling on the words 'can't wait' and PowerPoint'!

This help is free. This help is all done by volunteers. Everyone wants their problem handled first- sorry, but it just doesn't work like that! I hope you got your money's worth from Dell.

As for this:
ALSO - Since I have the PAID VERSION of AVG Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware (not free version) and had downloaded AVAST! just for comparison (last couple of scans found nothing but things are still not working right. IE and FIREFOX will redirect to random websites regardless of what I type in) -
No matter what the reason, running two (or more) AV programs at the same time can cause conflicts. And it doesn't matter if you paid for the programs or got them for free.

Sorry - but my son was also helping

Sorry. My son posted one of the replies as he was helping. I knew it would take time from other posts I studied.

Yes the problem is now fixed. Took Dell 4.5 hours of work using about 9 different programs - I watched most of it - amazing.

I only wish I could understand what satisfaction the creators of these trojan horses get from this work. If only they applied their smarts for beneficial use. Other than causing a distraction for one week and keeping me home on a beautiful weekend instead of going out - what did they get from it?

minogreat; The first site you referenced is for a rogue Registry cleaner.

The second site refers to Maywarebytes for cleaning.

Before referring anyone to use a program- especially for malware cleaning, you should be familiar with the program and the site.

And possibly you missed the reply that the system had been remotely cleaned by Dell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back