Win8.1 Suddenly lots of app crashes, CTRL ALT DEL useless

needhelp51

Hello,

My computer worked as a charm until two days ago. Win 8.1 Toshiba Satellite S50-B. A lot of apps (IE, firfox, chrome) keep crashing on me. When they crash, there is nothing I can do, CTRL ALT DEL does not work. A button appears to stop the application, it doesn't work either. Have to reboot each time. It is getting annoying. Computer is also slower all of a sudden. Scans (virus, MBAM, etc...) don't seem to finish, they just hang at some point. Just ruled out malware in another section of this forum. Any idea?

Thanks for your time. It turned out my HDD fails two tests according to "Seatools for Windows" HDD diagnosis tool (Short drive self-test and Long Generic test). When I backed-up my data, certain sectors were impossible to read and transfer speed went down to zero and crashed for many folders. Hopefully, I had older backup so I almost didn't lose anything. Called toshiba and they will provide a new HDD through a local service center. The HDD will be blank, though. I will have to reinstall everything myself. One question however, I have used Win 8.1' s tool to create a USB for recovery. The tool formated the USB and it automatically copied the recovery partition on it. Does that tool makes the USB 'bootable' when inserted in a brand new hard disk? Is there something special to do on my side so it can be bootable? And finally, can't figure out how to access BIOS and booting order sequence on this computer model PSPQ6C-020001. Any idea?

The boot drive is bad, and it contains a repair partition. You may be able to use the bootable USB when the new drive is installed. I don't know for sure

Back