Win98 & Fx5200 Conflict...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can shed some guiding light on my problem.
First problem I have is Win 98 OS , but I don't expect anyone to help me with this one.... ;)
I recently installed a GE FORCE FX-5200 128MB PCI video card in one of 2 PCI slots I have on my system.(2nd problem) ;) I disabled the onboard (SIS530)graphics.Everything went smooth on the installation .Downloaded the Nvidia graphics.

The problem I need help on is this:
I try to run any of my games (all 3D games) and the screen goes black and shells me back to the desktop. After this happens I run the dxdiag and find out my Direct Draw and 3D accelerators are disabled.I have to restart my computer to enable them again.
OK , when I ran my games on the onboard graphics without the nvidia installation all games ran good but I noticed in dxdiag that my AGP was enabled along with the DDraw and 3D..With the nvidia the AGP is disabled even with the ddraw and 3d enabled.
OK , I run MSINFO under hardware ,display , drivers and find out(with nvidia card installed) that there are 5 SIS530 old onboard drivers still running with the nvidia drivers.Conflict , Right???
A source told me to download the drivercleaner.net prog to remove the old remaining drivers . Makes sense to me but my question is what happens to the drivers it removes and can I retrieve them just in case this is not the problem?
What is anyone's take on this . :hotbounce I am willing to post the system info if needed.
IBM Aptiva
Win 98 OS
DirectX 9.0c
AMD-K6 3D processor,MMX,3D Now,500MHz
248 MB Ram Memory

Drivercleaner deletes the old drivers. If you need them again you can download newer versions from SIS website. The best fix though is for you to do a clean install of 98 with the new video card in.

Did the reinstall of Win 98 with the graphics card installed and still the games will not load . Tries to load the games then it shells back to the desktop.

I took my computer to Geek Squad and they told me my Win98 OS cannot handle the VGA and I should upgrade to Win XP to be able to play games.

Why does the Nvidia GeForce FX-5200 128MB card state that it is compatable with Win 98 OS, when in fact it is not compatable with my Win 98 OS?

I had to take out the video card and reinstall the onboard grphic drivers to be able to play the games. I have a 350W power supply and 248MB Ram , SIS 530 chipset. At this point I am unwilling to spend any more $$$$ to upgrade current machine and thinking on new system.....Any more suggestions ?

Power Supply is good (350W).Enough Ram Memory.Video Card is compatible w/Win98.
My onboard graphics drivers were disabled when I installed the Nvidia FX5200.
I downloaded the latest drivers for the VC.I did a clean install of Win98.

Can anyone with Tech Knowledge lead me in the right direction.....
I would love to play my games with a dedicated video card.

Direct X

Have you tried installing the latest version of directX? and dumb question I know but the drivers that you downloaded for the graphics card are for win98?

The_Maestro said:
Have you tried installing the latest version of directX? and dumb question I know but the drivers that you downloaded for the graphics card are for win98?
Not a dumb question , but yes I have installed directx 9.0c ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back