Windows 10 installation

My windows 10 installation of which am booting on a USB drive on my compaq laptop with a new Toshiba 500gb hard drive is failing to proceed because it wants me to select the load driver of which I can't find. The message displayed is , A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert now. NOTE : if the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

Sorry, I am a bit lost by the description.

Typically an external USB drive is used for backup and storage and is not used to boot the system. After the OS is configured on internal device, the USB external device driver is installed to give access to the additional device.

However, there is the "Windows to Go" capability which may be what you are looking for...
https://superuser.com/questions/982577/how-to-run-windows-10-from-an-external-hard-drive

I've never done it, so cannot be of more help in this.
Good luck.

My windows 10 installation of which am booting on a USB drive on my compaq laptop with a new Toshiba 500gb hard drive is failing to proceed because it wants me to select the load driver of which I can't find. The message displayed is , A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert now. NOTE : if the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

It sounds like this is a two phase issue. You can't just plug in a USB with windows installation files on it. You need to use a program like RUFUS for example to create a bootable USB drive. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ You then take the .iso file of your operating system and let RUFUS create the bootable media. (Sorry if you already know this part I am just being thorough in case this also helps someone else)

#2 before the computer gets to this point press F-12 or DEL to either enter the bios or the BOOT selection menu and select the USB flash drive you created containing the operating system and you should be good to go.

**This is sometime an issue but some bios dont allow boot from USB by default and you will have to go in and change this setting before trying to install an OS from a USB drive.

I hope this helps.

Hi Where did you get the USB that you are trying to use to install Windows 10? Did you create it from a ISO file?
You can find the ISO file here.

Back