Windows 2000 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I am pretty much of a novice with anything technical with PC's. I am thinking about going from Win 2000 to XP. First I don't know if I should get home edition or professional. Second I don't know if I should just start all over with a PC with nothing on it or upgrade. My system only has 40GB of space and I intend to purchase an external Hard Drive for more space. Should I do that first or should I get the XP installed first. I have only 23GB of hard drive available on my system. Any suggestions?

First I don't know if I should get home edition or professional.
XP/Pro is better and would give you more control. XP/Home is cheaper
Second I don't know if I should just start all over with a PC with nothing on it or upgrade. My system only has 40GB of space and I intend to purchase an external Hard Drive for more space. Should I do that first or should I get the XP installed first. I have only 23GB of hard drive available on my system. Any suggestions?

40/23 is smallish. I have a 60gb and FS is only 8.9 after two years.

If you had an external, AND installed new programs and data on it
(leaving the C:\ for only Windows) you could get by.
Create a d:\Program Files and install all new software there :)

If the system is low capacity (ie ~1024Ghz) and or low in memory, you might consider a new purchase.

I wouldn't do it. Just keep 2000 on there, it is a fine OS and there is nothing you gain in XP that you can't do in 2k with a 3rd party add on (which you are probably already doing). XP will run slower (but might boot faster) and use more resources. I've still got a system running 2k and it still gets Windows security updates, so I wouldn't change to XP if I were you.

How to create more disk space for computer

Hi, Bertram 44. First go to accessories from the start menu then to system tools. Click onto disk clean up and allow it to scan. Then, click ok to delete temporary internet files, creating more disk space. Also, from the start menu go back to accessories then to system tools click onto disk defragmenter. Click analyze. If it say that you should defragment this file. click onto defragment. This will compress your files leaving more disk space. You can do this for disk (C: ) and (D: ).

I hope this is helpful
Faye B

Defragmenting won't compress files. There used to be a way you could turn on disk compression back in the 9x days and perhaps before (I didn't use PCs before Win95) but that is a pretty bad idea because it kills performance and I believe it also causes more severe problems if you get any form of file corruption.

But neither of those topics have anything to do at all with him considering going to XP from 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back