Windows 7 Beta 1 outperforms Vista and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil

Staff
Normally, I would frown upon testing beta software against final code that has been updated frequently, but the results this time around are very interesting. Instead of using benchmarking programs, Adrian Kingsley-Hughes from ZDNet put together 23 real-world scenarios to see which operating system would be the quickest to complete all of the tasks.

He tested the 32-bit versions of Windows 7 build 6.1.7000.0.081212-1400, Windows Vista SP1, and Windows XP SP3. Two separate test machines were used:

An AMD Phenom 9700 2.4GHz system fitted with an ATI Radeon 3850 and 4GB of RAM
An Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz fitted with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS and 1GB of RAM

Neither of these computers is top of the line, but Windows 7 managed to outperform both Vista and XP on both. Kingsley gave a 1 to the operating system that finished each test first, a 2 for second place, and a 3 for third. Windows 7 scored 25 points on both systems, placing first in 21 tests, and second in two other ones. On the AMD system, XP scored 61 points and Vista scored 52, while on the Intel system, XP scored 56 points and Vista scored 57.

Either way, Windows 7 slaughtered both of its predecessors. Bill Gates wasn't kidding when he said Windows 7 would "be more efficient."

Full Story: http://arstechnica.com/journals/mic...windows-7-build-7000-outperforms-vista-and-xp
Results: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=2

At this stage (Beta 1) think of Windows 7 as a polished version of Vista, no more no less.

I hope that a few more fixes and additions make it to the final version (network stack performance), and also a serious consideration of how the new taskbar works and looks like.

Although I've just used Windows 7 for a few hours, I'm still unconvinced on how well the taskbar containing both open and closed programs will work effectively in a real usage scenario.

Also, the window grouping which is set to ON by default, may get 10 for eye candy but zero for usability IMO (this one is customizable however).

Windows 7 is now my main OS, personally I don't have any problems with the usability of the new taskbar, it just takes a bit of getting use to. I actually believe its more usable now.
cheers
Hynesy

think I'll test it when it reaches RC1

No need to wait for RC to test it, since there is only going to be the 1 beta, and at the moment it is incredibly stable, not one lock up, BSOD or anything of the sort. Very impressive actually, also pretty much every Vista driver can be run without a problem on Windows 7, part of MS's effort to ensure what happened at the release of Vista does not occur again.
cheers
Hynesy

really? this is the only beta they'll launch? can you back that up with a link?

thing is there is just so little difference between Vista (which I am currently using) and W7 that I don't see why I should bother going to W7... what's your opinion?

Sorry I should have been clearer, MS is aiming to only have 1 beta and 1 RC before RTM, though this could easily change with any major hiccups, I had a quick look for some links but its far too late at night. :p

I wouldn't be in any tearing hurry to upgrade your main PC, but instead test it as a dual boot or on another PC. There are a lot of changes with Windows 7, most of which have occurred under the hood and the only way to fully realize this is to test it. I think you are being a bit naive judging an operating system you have not tested by just viewing screenshots etc, if that is indeed what you have done.

Yeah that's good but Vista got a lot of problem and still have it, the problem with old application and games that have lot of problem to work or even didn't work at all.

Is there still the same problem on Windows 7? Also is Windows 7 more rapid that Windows Vista?

Any programs that didn't work with Vista will most likely not work with Windows 7.
I am assuming by rapid you mean the speed on Windows 7, but yes the is a very large speed increase, a lot of the programing has been optimized as has been RAM, CPU utilization and I/O.

Windows 7 will not increase compatibility with old apps/games. A new Microsoft OS will never do that. So if you absolutely need to run something old then your best bet is to use a virtual machine.

The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 will be similar in terms of compatibility to what we experienced when going from 2000 to XP.

Windows 7 will not increase compatibility with old apps/games. A new Microsoft OS will never do that. So if you absolutely need to run something old then your best bet is to use a virtual machine.

Hmmm ok...

But I don't know how to use a Virtual Machine and that would be nice to help me working my old applications...

Download Vmware workstation, follow the instructions that the program provides, its pretty simple.

Ok will do it. Thanks.

just another question about the RAM. what is the difference range of RAM usage between Vista and Windows 7?

Libraries.

Thats all I need to say to prove I will never use Windows 7. Its understandable that most people don't want physical folders and locations, but for people like me that will not have it any other way, well I just won't do it.

And what programs don't work with Vista? Seriously? Stop saying BS and actually state facts for once. I'm sick of peoples arguments against Vista being regurgitated ad's from Apple or some blog from a Linux Guru who hasn't used Windows since 95.

Libraries.

Thats all I need to say to prove I will never use Windows 7. Its understandable that most people don't want physical folders and locations, but for people like me that will not have it any other way, well I just won't do it.

And what programs don't work with Vista? Seriously? Stop saying BS and actually state facts for once. I'm sick of peoples arguments against Vista being regurgitated ad's from Apple or some blog from a Linux Guru who hasn't used Windows since 95.

Hey we aren't giving arguments against Vista but talking about Windows 7 that is better than Vista. Also yes there some application that don't work on Vista that won't work also on Windows 7 due to the new platform Vista and 7 are using.

Windows 7 is completely different on performance than Vista. It is completely improve where Vista is good too but Windows 7 is a step foward. Where normally I block or take time with XP and Windows Seven is not the same, it is completely fluid for even a beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back