Windows 7 boosts PC sales by 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As many predicted, the debut of Windows 7 has prompted a surge in PC sales -- for now, at least. During the first week of general availability, Windows 7 boosted computer sales by some 40% year-over-year, according to Morgan Stanley analyst Katheryn Huberty.

The figure is based on NPD sales data, and is partially skewed by consumers holding off purchases. During the two weeks leading up to Windows 7's launch, sales fell 29% and 2% compared to 2008. While computer sales have rebounded (and then some) from that stint, many people -- including Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer -- don't expect Windows 7 to have a long term impact on PC sales.

Huberty also dismissed concerns that computer vendors over-shipped ahead of the Windows 7 launch by showing that PC inventory levels are still below average. Did you, or anyone you know, purchase a new computer during the Windows 7 launch week?

Permalink to story.

For some people, it's much better to buy a new computer with windows 7 included for around 300-400 bucks rather than buying just the OS for 199 or something of the like.

Did somebody have noticed if the price have changed for the same computer between Vista/XP and Windows 7?
The OS should be free when you buy a computer. And when you have bought one, you should be able to install it on all your computers.
Am I wrong ?

The OEM cost of the OS license is built into the price of any new PC. Most new PC's that ship with Vista on them "should" also have free Win 7 upgrade rights as well. Win 7 is the first OS in a long time that has caused excitment with its release. I would compare it with the hype surrounding Win 95 (don't forget that both XP and Vista were blasted in the press over compatability and stability issues when they launched).

njel said:
Did somebody have noticed if the price have changed for the same computer between Vista/XP and Windows 7?
The OS should be free when you buy a computer. And when you have bought one, you should be able to install it on all your computers.
Am I wrong ?

I think you are njel, nothing is free. all that would happen is that they would raise the price of the computer to compensate and say the OS is free, might make you feel better...but its no more free. same thing for your second idea.

It doesn't surprise me that the release of a new operating system, especially one after the horrible failure named Vista, has sparked PC sales. If people have stuck with XP then their computer could be several years old, never a good thing.

Now with a new operating system that seems to so far be good, people are finally getting a modern computer, always a good thing.

"The OS should be free when you buy a computer. And when you have bought one, you should be able to install it on all your computers."

Nope...the OS is figured into the cost of the PC and it is good for that PC only. One license per PC. Now the manufacturer's have been advertising a "free" Windows 7 upgrade if you bought a PC within the target time frame (June 26th 2009 through January 31, 2010). But there's nothing free about it. You paid for that OS when you bought the PC.

And I know of three people who bought new PC's as a result of the Windows 7 upgrade offer. Not necessarily this week, but once the "free" Windows 7 upgrade program was announced in June.

I haven't had any problems with vista and see no reason to downgrade to 7.

Guest said:
Downgrade? How can you possibly say that? What about Windows 7 takes away from Vista? Windows 7's starting point was Vista, therefore, it is only more refined and complete.

No, I don't know of anybody who bought a new Windows 7 computer.

Guest said:

This is a very bloated response. Review after review after review has proclaimed 7 the more efficient, better looking, easier to use, operating system.

If you can't find reasons to UPGRADE to 7... well I really don't know what else to say about that.

I've been using the windows 7 release candidate for almost 6 months, and had no problems with it. I still believe XP is more solid and reliable, but until the RC expiration date arrives, I'll keep giving 7 a try...

treeski said:
Guest said:

ROFL, why did you downgrade from XP to Vista??

But seriously, Windows 7 is really good, okay, it is disk hungry, but apart from that the requirements are near identical to Vista. I am really appreciating Windows 7.

As for the article, not surprising really, there was a post up a couple of days ago saying Win7 had increased it's market share, so PC sales were likly to follow suit. MS have really worked some magic this time, in both marketing and OS performance (going by the reviews and my personal opinion).

njel said:
Am I wrong ?

You are so wrong that if you even feel it, it can't be argued with you.

Windows XP doesn't have a single thing that is wrong with it, but... it is going to be an almost 10 years old Operative System, it is or it is going to be discontinued so there isn't much point into keep the old XP there. Someone in an article compared having XP to having a 15 year old car.

Besides that, 7 is really clean, compared to vista has a lot more resource optimizations and it is user friendly to the point that installing it from scrath takes around 40-50 minutes to do a full install, and you don't have to bother looking for drivers in the internet or having to go to your neighbours house to download the ethernet or wifi drivers to connect to internet.

Reality is w7 is an improvement on Vista.. but that really was not hard to do since Vista = "Win ME 2"

So to get real figures on this everyone will ahve to wait a few months and then see what sort of real impact it has if any.

I'm actually surprised it haven't sold better then that because the only thing I heard about the windows 7 from people are ravings on how much they like it... literally everyone in all my computer classes likes it. Windows 7 will totaly replace vista and porblem finaly give a reason for people to drop their long ties with xp

forgot to add to above post^ that the reason they now sell more pc's is because people didn't buy pc's becuase they didn't like vista, and pretty much every site/store only sold computers with vista

Honestly, Win7 is the best operating system I've EVER used, it just does so much right. I'm glad more people are going to be able to experience it!

Q. Did you, or anyone you know, purchase a new computer during the Windows 7 launch week?
A. No .... but I do know a few folks that have been waiting for the holidays or January sales to dump the old PC .... and they know to only get one with Windows 7 already on it (no old Vista models with free upgrade CDs).

Hope this OS will more faster than windows vista which consumes more memory.And hopefully they will drop the price once manny consumers buy it.

I never though 1 operating system could make such an impact. I know im getting Windows 7 for free with my recent purchase of a laptop, but I really only got it for win... oh i see what you mean it boosts sales

let's just hope that this boom in computer sales isn't just temporary, although i don't think well see these kind of numbers very often. we'll see how well the industry is doing after the holidays.

"Did you, or anyone you know, purchase a new computer during the Windows 7 launch week?"

No, though I'm sure some people did that incidentally, and I might have met some of them at some point in the past. :) I'm sure that many people held off buying a PC in order to get one with Windows 7.

I'm not surprised that PC sales increased that much. Most people probably held off for Windows 7 even though there was a free upgrade to it is you bought a PC before the release date. However, I think a lot of people would prefer not to have the hassle of upgrading from Vista so they waited till the release of Windows 7. I would have done this if i was getting a new PC!

It would be interesting to see the figures after the market has settled down a bit, these kind of stats always come up when a newer version of something comes out, e.g. the PS3 slim launch saw sales increase by 100%-200% or whatever the figure was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back