Windows 7 users won't let go of the aging OS

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Despite Windows 7’s extended support phase coming to an end in eight months’ time, it appears users aren’t in a hurry to upgrade from the aging OS.

Analytics company NetMarketShare’s latest figures show that while Windows 10’s market share continues to climb, it is doing so at a slower pace. It went from 43.62 percent in March to 44.10 percent in April. And while Windows 7 declined, it did so by just 0.09 percent—from 36.52 percent to 36.43 percent.

It was only in December that Windows 10 finally surpassed Windows 7 to become the most popular version of the operating system. Surprisingly, the older OS experienced slight growth in February, but has been falling since then, though not as quickly as Microsoft wants.

Windows 7 will no longer receive extended security updates on January 14, 2020. After this point, the only users to receive them will be business and education customers willing to pay the high prices.

In an attempt to get more people to migrate to Windows 10, Microsoft started sending out courtesy reminders last month. These contain a link to pages that offer advice on how to prepare for Windows 7's last days and encourage people to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new PC.

Businesses have long been responsible for keeping Windows 7’s market share so high, and it appears the hassle and cost of upgrading entire networks of computers is causing many companies to stick with the OS—though the per-device price to receive ESUs after January might make switching a better option financially. There are doubtlessly plenty of individual Windows 7 users, too, many of whom still don’t trust Windows 10.

Permalink to story.

I've got one old computer that I kept 7 on and it's still running strong. Of course, I just use it for testing components and troubleshooting but until it fails I'll probably leave it "as is" .....

"Windows 10 finally surpassed Windows 7 to become the most popular"

Which definition of "popular" is being used in this article? Let's clarify.

1. regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general
3. of, relating to, or representing the people, especially the common people

If we are talking #1, then I strongly disagree. In fact, I would call it an outright lie.
If we are talking #3, as in forced on the public with no way of reasonably going back, I strongly agree.

"many of whom still don’t trust Windows 10"

This is the absolute main reason why I haven't switched.

I have a system I can't update to Windows 10 because compatible drivers for that OS don't exist.

Simultaneously, I'm not replacing my nearly 9 year old laptop because Microsoft tells me to. It works absolutely fine, and still games like a champ assuming that I stick to games of the era.

Don't know what's the problem with "the aging OS". As well as with Microsoft itself.

(1) They could easily drop W7 support for individual users and stop spending their money on notifications and adverts. They could leave us alone, we know what we are doing.

(2) Those of us who are from different category would follow p.1 very quickly or migrate to W10.

I'm a web developer and the tools I'm using on Win/7 are just fine. I would actually bet that Win/10 is a more secure system (due the the core rewrite), but that's of no concern to me.

Topic title says all -- and that includes me.

It's because Windows 7 was the last good iteration of the OS. From 8 on they stuffed their tablet OS into their desktop OS and now the whole mess is just a bloated piece of garbage. My Windows laptop will remain on W7 until it dies. After that, Linux or nothing.

It's because Windows 7 was the last good iteration of the OS. From 8 on they stuffed their tablet OS into their desktop OS and now the whole mess is just a bloated piece of garbage. My Windows laptop will remain on W7 until it dies. After that, Linux or nothing.

Windows 8 should have remained a tablet OS, but mistakes were made. Windows 10 has been great, and overall performance has been better than Windows 7. We all know that every other OS that Microsoft makes is a good one. WinXP (Awesome), Windows Vist (Trash), Windows 7 (Awesome), Windows 8 (Trash), and Windows 10 (Awesome).

Ive used Millennium, Vista and 8. Personally I didn't have issues with them, however I wasn't big into computers when I had Millennium. Just something I had got at that time. With Vista, I knew computers, wanted to try the new OS. IMO once the service pack come out, it fixed a lot of issues for people. I cannot recall ever having any major issues with it. I know many called it a resource hog but after it's first year, a lot of things did get fixed.
Windows 8 was hated by most, 8.1 fixed a lot and some people think it's the best version. I don't agree, I think 10 is better imo.
I agree that 10 has better performance than 7.

To the people who don't trust Windows 10, you do realize the same people made XP and 7. So you trust those but not 10. It's all the same crap just wrapped differently.
Also if you truly feel that way, do what Cal and some others will do, run to Linux. But we all know that wont be working for most. So we will all be seeing all these 10 haters come to 10 sooner or later. Just a matter of time.

Ive used Millennium, Vista and 8. Personally I didn't have issues with them, however I wasn't big into computers when I had Millennium. Just something I had got at that time. With Vista, I knew computers, wanted to try the new OS. IMO once the service pack come out, it fixed a lot of issues for people. I cannot recall ever having any major issues with it. I know many called it a resource hog but after it's first year, a lot of things did get fixed.
Windows 8 was hated by most, 8.1 fixed a lot and some people think it's the best version. I don't agree, I think 10 is better imo.

To the people who don't trust Windows 10, you do realize the same people made XP and 7. So you trust those but not 10. It's all the same crap just wrapped differently.
Also if you truly feel that way, do what Cal and some others will do, run to Linux. But we all know that wont be working for most. So we will all be seeing all these 10 haters come to 10 sooner or later. Just a matter of time.
It's not the same crap, it's totally different business model monetizing user data. I don't accept that so I won't be able to switch from W7 to W10.
When I feel that W7 without updates is really insecure (it will probably get loud about new exploits in the wild) then I'll gradually switch to linux for good. Even now all my machines multiboot W7 an Elementary OS.

Only because MS practically is a monopolist on the PC OS market.
No one's forcing anybody to use Windows. You got other alternatives to choose from such as Android/Chrome OS and macOS, or Linux/Ubuntu if youre into free or open-source OS's. If you dont like the other options then well, tough titty.

No one's forcing anybody to use Windows. You got other alternatives to choose from such as Android/Chrome OS and macOS, or Linux/Ubuntu if youre into free or open-source OS's. If you dont like the other options then well, tough titty.
Monopoly is a monopoly. Windows is the biggest application ecosystem making it very hard to switch to other OS for many users. And that's why open source is the only reasonable choice for the future.
If you're interested in my plans regarding W10 read my previous posts, thanks.

The reality is that if you have top-rated security suite on your Windows 7 machine you have better compatibility, usability and in some cases performance than Windows 10 and you're just as safe. Microsoft may not like that fact but if they want to get the holdouts to migrate they need to get back to putting the user first. No more shoving cloudspying down our gullets. No more sending our personal data to Microsoft servers without consent, EVER. No more anti-user UIs. No more stupid hardware decisions like never *really* disabling write caching for USB devices. Its not that hard, guys.

Monopoly is a monopoly. Windows is the biggest application ecosystem making it very hard to switch to other OS for many users. And that's why open source is the only reasonable choice for the future.
If you're interested in my plans regarding W10 read my previous posts, thanks.
Unless you're gonna come up w/ the next big thing as it relates to a new and better OS, you can spare me the crocodile tears. Come to think of it, I never knew you even existed until you had responded to my comment so what would give you such a farfetched idea that I would be remotely interested in anything other than Windows 10, lmao? Have an nice life.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. "just a matter of time"? LOL. I used DOS 6.2 and Win 3.11, as a gamer, through until Win98SE came out. I never touched Win95 or Win98. So, please do tell us how it's "just a matter of time"? I do not need Win10 to do anything.

If I do build another rig, then I will either

1. install Win7 on it
or
2. install Linux, in which I don't need a faster computer and will not be for gaming.

So, guess I will only be playing games supported on Win7. Congratulations, MS. You single-handedly lost money for everyone if Win10 turns into an ultimatum. So, when is the next OS coming out without your spyware/malware?

By the way, different people made Win10 than XP and 7? People move onto other jobs and/or retire...

Back