Windows 7 won't boot in regular, safe, or repair mode

JJ Street

Hi again. A friend gave me her laptop and told me it won't boot up. Sure enough, she's right. Windows starts to load, but as the files are loading it goes to the black screen of death with cursor control only. I've tried booting into safe mode, and into system recovery via disk with no luck. The same result every time. I read online the video controller may be the culprit. I tried booting at lower resolution, and connecting an external monitor. No luck.

My next guess is her hard drive may be the issue. I plugged it up via external USB and can't read any files on it...it shows up in explorer but I get a message to format the drive. Just accessing the drive properties took forever and it came up as 0 bytes. I tried to run error-checking but it failed to read. WinDFT doesn't recognize the drive either. Anybody have any insight on what might be going on, or any suggestions for next steps? Or is she just out of luck? Details below. Thanks!

JJ

Toshiba Satellite C655-S5128 with Intel Core i3
Windows 7 Home Premium
Hitachi GST Travelstar 5K500.B HTS545050B9A300 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s
4GB (2x2GB) Kingston 2Rx8 PC3-85000S

Black Screen of death ? - You mean BLUE screen of death ?
Can you tell us what does it say ?

No the color of the screen dose not matter.LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My guess is the hard drive failed.

Back