Windows 8 market share surpasses all versions of OS X combined

Scorpus

Staff member

windows mac apple microsoft linux net applications windows 8 mac os x market share

According to Net Applications, Windows 8 has achieved a milestone in the month of August, overtaking the market share of all versions of Mac OS X combined. Microsoft's latest operating system gained 2.01 percentage points in August to end with 7.41% of the market, allowing it to gain a narrow lead on Mac OS X, which posted a market share of 7.28%.

The growth Windows 8 experienced in August was the largest month-on-month gain since its launch in October last year, although it's not quite clear what sparked the sudden influx of upgrades. It could perhaps be related to the price cuts of Microsoft's Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, or the leaks of the Windows 8.1 RTM, or simply a large amount of mid-year system purchases.

Net Applications: Operating system market share, August 2013

Operating System August 2013 Market Share July 2013 Market Share Market Share Gain
Windows 8 7.41% 5.40% 2.01%
Windows 7 45.63% 44.46% 1.14%
Windows Vista 4.11% 4.24% -0.13%
Windows XP 33.66% 37.19% -3.53%
Windows Other 0.38% 0.27% 0.11%
Windows Total 91.19% 91.56% -0.37%
Mac OS X 7.28% 7.19% 0.09%
Linux 1.52% 1.25% 0.27%

Windows 7 also saw a gain of 1.14% in August, while Windows Vista and Windows XP declined by 0.13 and 3.53 percent respectively. Overall, Windows saw a fractional decline of 0.37% in the month, which allowed both Mac OS X and Linux to gain a small amount of market share.

Despite gains for Windows 8 in August, it seems Microsoft hasn't been able to convince a large number of Windows 7 users to upgrade. The launch of Windows 8.1 later this year, which addresses a number of complaints surrounding Windows 8, may prompt more users to upgrade their OS, but at least for now it seems Windows 7 and Windows XP will remain kings of the market.

Permalink to story.

Windows 8 isn't convincing Windows 7 users to join because Windows 7 is better. The only people going to windows 8 are the people ditching XP and Vista because all of the new PC's come with W8, otherwise Windows 7 is still on the rise.

"..it seems Microsoft hasn't been able to convince a large number of Windows 7 users to upgrade."

Ha! When you pry my copy of win7 from my cold, dead hands. Or release a real OS. 8 has been tainted and is interchangable with Vista for most consumers now.

There is no way Windows 7 is better than Windows 8, that's rubbish in my opinion. Windows 8 is a vast improvement. Yes removing the start menu was stupid but once you add it back with 3rd party software Windows 8 becomes their best OS yet. Guys need to get over bashing Windows 8 just because the start menu was removed, if you couldn't add it back for free I might agree but you can. Let's be honest all versions of Windows would suck if it wasn't for the wealth of 3rd party software.

There is no way Windows 7 is better than Windows 8, that's rubbish in my opinion. Windows 8 is a vast improvement.

Especially when you look at the vast improvements across the desktop interface, dual-screen settings, and back-end

And in a surprising upset Windows 8 is declared "WINNER BY DEFAULT". What do I mean when I say "Winner by default"? I mean that Windows 7 wants to keep fighting but they won't let him into the ring. The fight was fixed. What a scam. What a fraud.

Edit: Do these statistics represent desktop market share also or are they deceptively including all tablets and cellphones as well as desktops, sold to 3rd party re-sellers that are sitting in boxes collecting dust on shelves in warehouses? Why compare Windows to Mac OS X when MAC OS X is marketed to the desktop segment alone?

Windows 8 is a failure. I guess a little marketing spin and stat manipulation couldn't hurt anything at this point.

There is no way Windows 7 is better than Windows 8, that's rubbish in my opinion. Windows 8 is a vast improvement. Yes removing the start menu was stupid but once you add it back with 3rd party software Windows 8 becomes their best OS yet. Guys need to get over bashing Windows 8 just because the start menu was removed, if you couldn't add it back for free I might agree but you can. Let's be honest all versions of Windows would suck if it wasn't for the wealth of 3rd party software.

Stop trying to insult people's intelligence by suggesting that 50% of Windows 7 users at minimum aren't upgrading to the Windows 8 operating system because of a missing Start menu. It's a lot of things. A lot of little things put together and of course the UI. The operating system was designed for tablets. Desktops were considered but it appears they were an afterthought. Functionality was stripped from the operating system that did not have to be stripped. It's only because Microsoft wants to force upon us a dumbed down operating system. One that restricts freedoms. One that keeps Microsoft more in control and the user has less control.

You say Windows 8 is a vast improvement. But you don't say how? Tell us all how it's transformed your life. It boots faster, right? LOL. Ok, I think we all get that at this point.

Windows 8 bashing will continue through at least the next major release of Windows when we declare it(the next release of Windows) either a failure or a success. Until then, you might as well sit back and enjoy the show.

Is there such a thing as the comparison/market share of desktop OSes versus tablet OSes (windows 8.x, iOS, android, etc) ?

Stop trying to insult people's intelligence by suggesting that 50% of Windows 7 users at minimum aren't upgrading to the Windows 8 operating system because of a missing Start menu. It's a lot of things. A lot of little things put together and of course the UI. The operating system was designed for tablets. Desktops were considered but it appears they were an afterthought. Functionality was stripped from the operating system that did not have to be stripped. It's only because Microsoft wants to force upon us a dumbed down operating system. One that restricts freedoms. One that keeps Microsoft more in control and the user has less control.

You say Windows 8 is a vast improvement. But you don't say how? Tell us all how it's transformed your life. It boots faster, right? LOL. Ok, I think we all get that at this point.

Windows 8 bashing will continue through at least the next major release of Windows when we declare it(the next release of Windows) either a failure or a success. Until then, you might as well sit back and enjoy the show.

I agree, they should of added more useful features for desktop users or really just had a windows Desktop and windows tablet versions. I would have wanted things like virtual desktops, real multi-monitor support, an updated start menu (not a start page), and maybe some stuff for gamers since Windows is the gaming platform for PCs (like a gpu monitor in the task manager and something like the Razer Game Booster.) It is nice that they made it start up 5 seconds faster but that's really not something that makes it so I feel like I need it. Plus the GUI on general looks worse they completely removed shadows making it look really flat and dull. If Macs were good for gaming I'd build a Hackintosh tomorrow and use that instead.

Windows 8 isn't convincing Windows 7 users to join because Windows 7 is better. The only people going to windows 8 are the people ditching XP and Vista because all of the new PC's come with W8, otherwise Windows 7 is still on the rise.

I went from 7 to 8 and I'm loving it! I changed both systems in my desktop and notebook and if I ever get another windows machine that doesnt come with 8 I will certainly get it for that one too.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

I hate rednecks going all "EVERYONE" when they actually mean themselves and their wife-cousin.

MS's biggest problem is not WIN8 design, but it was apparent with beta releases that users wanted start back and the non-touch user to be valued. MS had so much feedback during the betas and they chose to ignore the complaints.
Design the product, beta test it and LISTEN TO YOUR USERS COMPLAINTS.

can you make an article listing windows 8 start menus, that would be helpful and may stop this argument.

Nothing you can say is going to change the enmity MS has generated over Win8. Its only glory is faster boot time (which in and of itself is all MS needed to make it a great success). Otherwise, if you go deep into daily use of the OS, you encounter many layers of errors and glitches. You can't copy and paste between many programs. While the OS itself doesn't, programs running within it do crash, and the only way use the program again it to reboot the system.

So, generally speaking, much of the laudatory commentary about Win8 being the best Windows ever comes across as either fanboy BS or editorial writers trolling for advertising dollars.

Windows 8 should be judged on its own without modifications not sanctioned by MS, by saying its the best version of windows after you modify it you invalidate your argument. I could say the same thing about any number of other items... here are some examples to illustrate my point:

"A Honda Civic is an amazing off-road vehicle! All you need to do is mount the body to a truck frame, swap out the motor and drive train for a V8 and some Dana 44s, and add some 37" tires!"

"A riding lawn mower makes a great vehicle for a single person who just needs to go a few miles! All you have to do is remove the mower deck, swap out the tires for ATV tires, then replace the transmission with one that is designed to go 40 MPH instead of 6 MPH."

"A $300 e-machines from wal-mart is a powerful gaming machine! All you have to do is swap out the power supply with one that is 700W+, add in a GTX 780, upgrade the processor to a quad-core, quadruple the RAM, give it an SSD as a boot drive and use the included hard drive as a data disk."

See where I'm going with this? No, windows 8 is not a good OS... it's terrible, absolutely terrible for anyone not using a tablet, it's designed for touch first and throws us desktop/laptop users under the bus and does this all so that MS can try and force everyone to use their App store.

As far as I'm concerned MS can take Windows 8, their sky-drive, their App store, and any of the rest of their stuff that has no business on a proper computer and shove it up their @$$.

I would like to see whomever did this survey contact a portion of the new owners and see how many deleted Win 8 for win 7. I know I did that for my Wife's laptop.

I would like to see whomever did this survey contact a portion of the new owners and see how many deleted Win 8 for win 7. I know I did that for my Wife's laptop.

I have done that to my PC a couple times,hoping updates would fix it.
I don't think even 8.1 will make it much better,if at all.

I went from 7 to 8 and I'm loving it! I changed both systems in my desktop and notebook and if I ever get another windows machine that doesnt come with 8 I will certainly get it for that one too.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

How does that make it invalid in any way? Clearly you are not a gamer, because if you were you'd agree with me. Gaming on Windows 8 is horrible.

See where I'm going with this? No, windows 8 is not a good OS... it's terrible, absolutely terrible for anyone not using a tablet, it's designed for touch first and throws us desktop/laptop users under the bus and does this all so that MS can try and force everyone to use their App store.

As far as I'm concerned MS can take Windows 8, their sky-drive, their App store, and any of the rest of their stuff that has no business on a proper computer and shove it up their @$$.
Its a universal OS designed for all devices, saying its strictly designed for touch because of a few interfaces that are improved to work with touch does not mean its strictly for touch. The desktop works just like it did in 7, I push the windows key if I need to open upthe start menu (You know the little button on the KEYBOARD thats been there since the 90's) and I start typing if I need to find something. I almost never click anything except on the desktop itself and to open up a program. You could do all that with windows 7 yes, but 8 gives me answeres in a mere second with no hesitation, it is optimised and very fluent.

Lets give a hand to Steve for this post, thats the best sum up of what everyones problems with windows 8 is.

How does that make it invalid in any way? Clearly you are not a gamer, because if you were you'd agree with me. Gaming on Windows 8 is horrible.
Im a gamer, my desktop is on Windows 8, enlighten me to all these supposid issues im supposed to be having while gaming. I get the same or better FPS in all games when I changed from windows 7 to 8, have seen no downsides in the gaming area.

Where did he insult anyones intelligence, he stated the truth which is what most (not all) arguments about windows 8 revolve around on the negative side, the start menu. Most arguments start off with "I hate windows 8 because the start menu was removed blah blah" and then drift off from there. Apparently make the OS run more efficient and faster is less important than having an operating with a basic menu at the bottom that clickable. Its getting old real fast because its honestly the point was made that people wanted it back and people still have something to complain about. Microsoft is just this years company to hate and no matter what they do, they are going to be critized.

I am a gamer and I have had no problems playing any game, for all that matters I play SC2, BF3, Crysis 2, LoL, APB, WarThunder, among others but those are the games that take most of my time, so, I am a gamer and I don't agree with you, I bet a friend told you or you read from a forum something about someone who crashed his computer and you adopted it as a moto... It's not true. Your argument is also invalid.

Back to the first time I said his argument was invalid was because according to him only people who are ditching XP and Vista and those that buy new computers that come with windows 8 are those who use it, I ditched 7 for 8 so... his argument is invalid, do I need to make it more clear?

Its a universal OS designed for all devices, saying its strictly designed for touch because of a few interfaces that are improved to work with touch does not mean its strictly for touch. The desktop works just like it did in 7, I push the windows key if I need to open upthe start menu (You know the little button on the KEYBOARD thats been there since the 90's) and I start typing if I need to find something. I almost never click anything except on the desktop itself and to open up a program. You could do all that with windows 7 yes, but 8 gives me answeres in a mere second with no hesitation, it is optimised and very fluent.

Lets give a hand to Steve for this post, thats the best sum up of what everyones problems with windows 8 is.

Im a gamer, my desktop is on Windows 8, enlighten me to all these supposid issues im supposed to be having while gaming. I get the same or better FPS in all games when I changed from windows 7 to 8, have seen no downsides in the gaming area.

Where did he insult anyones intelligence, he stated the truth which is what most (not all) arguments about windows 8 revolve around on the negative side, the start menu. Most arguments start off with "I hate windows 8 because the start menu was removed blah blah" and then drift off from there. Apparently make the OS run more efficient and faster is less important than having an operating with a basic menu at the bottom that clickable. Its getting old real fast because its honestly the point was made that people wanted it back and people still have something to complain about. Microsoft is just this years company to hate and no matter what they do, they are going to be critized.

All I can say is I totally agree with you.

Some complain saying "it's not meant for powerusers"... I say it's whole concept is powerusers, everything is easier to find with the new search features, if you know your keyboard shortcuts it's amazing how much you don't even require de start screen.

I'm pretty sure it's flaming people that read 1 user ***** about windows 8 and they all accepted it as the new moto for windows 8 "it sucks".

I installed it on my notebook and the next week I got windows 8 for my desktop computer. I loved windows 8, I'm loving windows 8.

All I can say is I totally agree with you.

Some complain saying "it's not meant for powerusers"... I say it's whole concept is powerusers, everything is easier to find with the new search features, if you know your keyboard shortcuts it's amazing how much you don't even require de start screen.

I'm pretty sure it's flaming people that read 1 user ***** about windows 8 and they all accepted it as the new moto for windows 8 "it sucks".

I installed it on my notebook and the next week I got windows 8 for my desktop computer. I loved windows 8, I'm loving windows 8.
A lot of this makes one think that you believe you should be speaking for everyone, and you're not.

Heretofore, more or less every other version did suck. "Suck", is such a strong term.

For example Vista was, "meh".

"Windows ME", was the "mistake edition.

Speaking strictly for myself, Win 8 appears to be another "customer funded beta test". The same as Vista. Just some garbage M$ pieced together to fund further R&D, and attempt to herd sheep their "app store". Which I interpret as an attempt to "close the system", in a similar manner to Apple. And hey, if you want to know anything about shepherding, consult the "sheep meister", Apple Corp.

And again, speaking strictly for myself, I'm not some "desperate to be on the cusp of cool", modern day imbecile, that needs Fischer-Price "touch me blocks", to "actualize my potential", at the computer console.

So, a quick recap. Steve Ballmer isn't fit to carry Bill Gates' jockstrap. Windows 8 is HIS baby. He publicly stated that, "Windows 8 is our biggest gamble", and it appears it's a bet that he lost, big time.

And then he pulled the ripcord on his "golden parachute".

(Wait for it)............. The End

Back