Windows cannot connect to this wireless network- please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my situation: I use a desktop PC that uses a Westel 327W router and accesses the internet using DSL. I use a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop in another location that uses a cable modem. When I move my laptop to the location of the desktop I was always able to connect to the network using my internal Wireless card which is a Dell True Mobile. 1300 WLAN Mini PCI. I didn't have to do any configuring at all. It just picked up the open network and I clicked connect. Recently my hard drive on the laptop crashed and I had to get a new one, thereby having to reinstall Windows XP SP 2 OS. Now I cannot connect to the wireless network. I get the following error

"Unable to connect to wireless network.Windows could not connect to the 4Z... network. Windows will keep trying to connect. To see options for fixing this problem click here.

I click the message and it asks me if I want to let Windows try and repair the problem. So I click repair and get the following message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem becuase the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network.

When I enter Network Places it seems to have found the wireless network it just can't seem to connect to it. It says "Signal Stregnth: Good"

I've tried almost everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Ok so you reinstalled your os and was this with a new xp cd by itself or was this the one from the manufactuer

Not sure

ya know thats a good question.. I'm not sure how the OS was reinstalled. The Geek Squad from the local Best Buy worked on it for me and I did not have the original CD Dell sent me when I bought the machine, which was almost 4 years ago at that. Id have to guess it was a CD with just XP on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back