Windows did not start successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day, all!

I know this problem has been reported a number of times, but here is another instance, along with my efforts so far:

Error:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

I was able to start up in Safe Mode. At first I thought this was a windows problem, so I reloaded the OS (Win XP). Actually, I started the process to reinstall from the CD, but during this process, I was presented with the option to REPAIR.. so I selected that. It seemed like a complete reinstall - took about an hour - but left all my data intact (which was a plus). However, I then had to download and install about 100 updates!

Anyway, I thought that fixed the problem, but alas, it came back. Sort of intermittently.. sometimes it would boot up correctly, other times, it failed.

I have been running PassMark's BurnIn Test, both from Safe mode, and also from normal mode (when the system boots up properly), to stress the cpu, memory and hard drive, but it never finds any errors.

I have disabled the automatic restart (as someone in another thread suggested), so that I can see the contents of the BSOD, but so far, the system has been booting up normally and not failing. However, I KNOW the problem is still lurking there and will show up again.

As I have already reloaded the OS, my thoughts are that it is not the OS, but maybe hardware. I know I have seen odd problems with bad power supplies, but I metered this one and the voltages all seem fine. But that does not rule it out. I am somewhat suspecting memory, although it passes all the stress tests I ran on it.

Any ideas/suggestions?

1. you could have driver issues
2. check ram with memtest 86+ for at least 7 passes
3. run crap cleaner (CCleaner) registry repair
4. check your CMOS battery - if old - replace it.
5. check BIOS to ensure it is the latest version. If nothing has changed and your system worked fine before or at one point, don't change your BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back