Windows Firewall will not turn off!!! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The On/Off options on the Windows Firewall are grayed out. I've tried using the group policy editor to turn it off. It's not working. When is Microsoft going to stop including this stupid thing in its OS? Nothing works right if it's turned on. I need to turn it off so I can access my ADMIN$ share from the domain controller. Anyone have a fix?

Do you have another program installed that might be affecting the Windows Firewall? Have you installed all the latest "critical" updates from Windows Update?

It's a brand spankin' new Gateway Tablet PC, just out of the box this morning. Only software is what came pre-loaded. It may not have all the Windows updates installed yet. Do you really think this is the problem?

rennoc said:
It's a brand spankin' new Gateway Tablet PC, just out of the box this morning. Only software is what came pre-loaded. It may not have all the Windows updates installed yet. Do you really think this is the problem?

Do you realize how long any computer might sit on a store shelf before it is bought? I recently woked on a Gateway that the customer said it was 2 years old. It was actually built 4 years before she bought it new!

Go ahead and run Windows Update and see what you get. I think you'll be surprized

Click Start > Run > services.msc and look at the list of Services that appear, scroll down to 'Windows Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing' and double click on it. Choose 'Disabled' from the drop down menu and click the 'Stop' button. Once the service is stopped, click OK and check your firewall now.

If the service is disabled, its not possible for Windows to continue running the firewall. Keep in mind this is not a solution, but more of a workaround. If it works, you should look into why this is happening.

This is very true Rick,
I seem to be fighting software issues every time Windows Update applies a critical update, especially all their updates last August. A Microsoft "approved" game I have, failed to run after an August update. A fix for this will be released at the end of this week... I hope. Windows Update+ "we're damned if we do, we're damned if we don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back