Windows not loading,brngs black screen with options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to fix my brothers laptop. One day it stopped loading windows and instead goes to a black screen with some different options, such as safe mode/safe mode with command prompt/start windows normal, and restore to last known setting none of which seem to work. It will goto the load screen fail and bring me back here. Any suggestions would be amazing. thanks

Could be a dodgy Hard Drive...

I suggest you find out what brand it is, and run the Diagnostic. If it passes, great, if it doesn't, then we have the culprit. The DIagnostic runs in DOS, so it doesn't matter that you can't get into Windows.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

If it passes, you can try running CHKDSK /r by booting from a Windows CD and entering the Recovery Console, this often helps

If it fails, it's time for anew HDD & install of Windows etc. All the DATA on it isn't neccasarily lost, you can get a cheap USB to 2.5" HDD enclosure and see what is recoverable, or cheaper still are IDE to 2.5" adapters so you can hook it up to a PC and recover it that way. SCAN FOR VIRUSES/SPYWARE before you open any files though.

Merry XMas

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back