Windows NotePad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not able to open Windows NotePad. Although this utility IS listed as an accessory on my Windows XP (Home) start menu, it does not open when I click on the Notepad Icon.

P.S. I am able to open up WordPad.

And you are trying to open it by going to Start->Programs->Accessories? then clicking on Notepad. If that doesn't work, you need to consider a reinstall.

do u get an error message? Can you right click on it and choose Properties? If you can, where the shortcut going to? Go there and see if the program is listed there. If it is, your second option is to remove notepad in add/remove programs (windows programs) and put it back and see if that works (it may require u to put the XP cd in your cdrom drive).

Did not get an error message when I click on Notepad. I am able to right click on properties and when I do, I see that the target is listed as C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\actmovie.exe

By the way, I don't see NotePad listed in any of the Add/Remove programs on my Start Menu Control Panel.

seems like the target location isnt correct. try putting "%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe" (without the "") in Target and click ok. Then try again to open notepad.

Update: When I ran the program notepad.exe on my startup menu (click on run) to see if the program was in fact on my computer, it booted right up. Once I determined that the program was on my computer and functioning properly, I simply ran a Google DESKTOP search of notepad.exe to find the correct target path and then simply replaced the bogus target path info with the correct info. Everything now works perfect.

Your Startmenu is wrong

I was going to suggest the run menu,but it works,so open Windows folder
find Notepad copy and create a shortcut in the start menu anywhere.
Do you know where you find your Start Menu folders ?
Get rid of the one you have.and paste this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back