Windows Phone 7 initial sales estimates underwhelming

Jos

Staff

Phone manufacturers officially begun selling Windows Phone 7 devices in the U.S. this week, less than a year since Microsoft revealed the ground-up redesign of its platform and started pushing the idea of a simpler mobile experience. But perhaps Redmond’s odd marketing campaign didn’t resonate well with consumers, or the many handset models scrabbling for attention only helped to confuse would-be buyers, as initial sales estimates are not looking pretty.

According to a market research source talking to financial site The Street, Microsoft may have sold as little as 40,000 phones. To put that number into perspective, Apple had some 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4, and is reportedly selling around 270,000 a day. Meanwhile, Google activates some 200,000 Android handsets daily. We’re not sure how many Windows Phone 7 handsets were available to begin with – the HTC HD7 reportedly sold out amid “strong interest”, and the Venue Pro was only available in limited numbers – but 40,000 seems quite low nevertheless.

It’s far too early to forecast another “Kin” failure, though. Microsoft generally gets into new markets for the long run and is prepared to burn a lot of cash to position itself in the market – it persevered with the now profitable Xbox, and less successfully with other ventures such as Zune and Bing. With Apple and Google raking in billions from their mobile platforms, we’ll likely see Microsoft sticking around for the fight. It might just take some time to shake off the Windows Mobile stigma.

Permalink to story.

I think half the problem is Microsoft isn't really known for cutting edge. Whenever people hear Microsoft they think of "that thing that runs on my computer that I don't know what it does." Google and Apple have a better image though. People even use Google as a verb. I think Microsoft has more of an image problem than anything else.

I'm still waiting to see a commercial though that shows exactly what the Windows Phone 7 does. All I've seen are random commercials with people falling down and then it said Windows Phone 7. So when I buy your phone it'll make me clumsy? Ya I don't think I want that phone either.

Underwhelming sales do not change the fact that WP7 is a superior platform, it will take some time, but the market swing will happen.

taea00 said:
All I've seen are random commercials with people falling down and then it said Windows Phone 7. So when I buy your phone it'll make me clumsy? Ya I don't think I want that phone either.

haha yeah i agree its largely an image problem. I find that most of the people I know who have an iphone or who buy apple products in general dont know much of anything about computers or phones. They just think theyre cool and that somehow means theyre better. Whatevs I dont get into that mess. When it comes down to it apple has done a good job marketing recently and microsoft hasnt done anything to help their waning image.

agreed
imo, its more business oriented then the competitors (Android/iPhone)
it will take time to get ppl to use it

Beta was superior to VHS but it lost too...
But agree, too early tell call it a dud yet.
A advertising campaign tweak, see how word of mouth, etc.

I don't know that I agree with it being a superior platform either. Apple and Googles platforms are pretty impressive. But I also think that it is too early to say if it will catch on. Some people, me included, still have a pretty bad opinion of the previous windows phones that make me very hesitant to jump into this one. I'll wait for a couple revisions and full reviews before I make any decisions to change.

I am seriously looking at the windows phone 7. None of the android phones appeal to me, the only one I like is the my touch slide and that's not on my network. All the different Android phones aren't compatible with the same apps. M$ is taking a stance kinda like apple, everything has to conform to a certain standard. The difference being that M$ is letting people make there own windows phone if it meets these standards. The android phones also come with a lot of bloatware that can sometimes be impossible to remove. M$ has already said that they will not accept bloatware on their phones, and that is a damn good idea. I currently have a blackberry and don't like it that much. All the different android versions makes buying apps useless and the iPhone makes me want fight someone...

I'm going to wait and see what they update support is like. My HTC Touch HD "windows update" stopped working after a few minor updates. HTC didn't support updating from 6.1 to 6.5. Not going to get stuck with a buggy outdated interface again, will take a lot to get me to go with a Windows based phone again.

This came way too late, in the best possible scenario it´ll take few years for windows to catch up on Apple and Android

I think it will just take some time to mature in the market. Most people probably don't know what it's all about. We here are more tech oriented people, so we eat it all up and have made up our minds on whether we want it or not. I'm going to get one (just need some more monies!), but the majority of people haven't seen all of the videos or know which handset is the best. Microsoft needs to have commercials that show HOW you will be less glued to your phone rather than just telling you.

I've been hearing that stores are sold out on the phone. http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/52418-windows-phone-7-htc-hd7-sells-out So I don't know what to make of this. Possibly low or unanticipated supplies not meeting demand? But I also think releasing the phone on AT&T's network doesn't help. I too noticed that the demand was from T-Mobile's stores, backing up what I suspect. The iPhone largely dominates all Smart Phones on AT&T's network. And to put a new, yet unknown phone against the well established and raved about iPhone won't help sales.

Microsoft made a mistake in positioning this new phone against iPhone. And should have put out a CDMA version for Verizon to get that initial interest if that is what they're after.

I think part of the problem is the previous Windows Mobile versions. I owned two Windows Mobile phones (2003 and 6.0 versions), and still use the latter. They have quite a few annoying things and I vowed never to buy another Windows phone. While I read a review and it looks like the new Windows Phone OS and UI is quite an improvement, and something that's actually enjoyable to use, I still would look at other phones first when it I decide to buy a new phone.

@taea00: It's competitors' phones in the ads, so the message is when you buy THEIR phones you'll be clumsy.

For one you can't compare WinPhone7 to an iPhone 4 or to a Million & 1 Android Handsets because it's a new operating system that JUST came out. For two, people still have a VERY bad taste in their mouth from WinMo 5 & 6 so once they hear the words "Phone" and "Windows" in the same sentence, they run for dear life. It'll get better I think.

How about maybe the phone market is already saturated and MS waited 10 years too long to jump in?

The 'smartphone' market has been here what ? 2, 3 years now ? and people are talking SATURATED ? Companies like Intel and AMD are just NOW beginning to design with this form factor and type of device in mind but Microsoft is late ? well ok, everyone has their opinion.

What I see is a brand new platform, already rivaling the functionality of existing and established platforms. WP7 has: Zune multimedia functionality, Xbox Live integration, full Windows integration and mature and established development tools. In 2 years I think WP7, Meego and WebOS will be major players.

"To put that number into perspective, Apple had some 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4, and is reportedly selling around 270,000 a day. Meanwhile, Google activates some 200,000 Android handsets daily."

If that's not a saturated market, I don't know what is.

I think one of their main problems is that people do not trust Microsoft with mobiles as mobile 6.5 and earlier were so awful! Also, everyone knows about Apple and Android so they go for the safe bet. Microsoft took way too long getting the new OS out as Android and Apple have got a strong foot hold now!

I must also say that their advertising campaign was terrible! I saw the advert and was totally put off, You only saw the interface of the phone at the very end. Never mind, I'm sure Microsoft will keep going, could be a long ride for them though!

My initial thoughts are:
It doesnt look asthetically pleasing. The GUI and case equally dull, the phone doesnt look very savvy at a glance. And I like Microsoft but Im not a big fan of the Windows symbol right there on the phone..

How those first 40,000 perceive it will be a big factor. If they like it and make others want it, then Microsoft's market share will expand.

The advertising wasn't great, though i somewhat liked the concept itself there are better ways of promoting speed and simplicity.

This is pretty awesome I was thinking of buying one but I wanted to wait for trusted reviews, anyone on the forum/comments have anything to say?
It seems nice and all i dont have a iphone or a droid i have a (blackberry) so ? what do u guys think
?

Guest said:
I am seriously looking at the windows phone 7. None of the android phones appeal to me, the only one I like is the my touch slide and that's not on my network.
If you're looking at the MyTouch slide, you might like the Motorola Droid 1 or 2, or the Desire Z, or even the sprint epic 4G.
All the different Android phones aren't compatible with the same apps.
Not true; the only thing that really matters is OS version(which most of the times can be upgraded; even the G1 can easily run Froyo), and resolution. WP will eventually have these problems as well, with new devices being introduced.
M$ is taking a stance kinda like apple, everything has to conform to a certain standard. The difference being that M$ is letting people make there own windows phone if it meets these standards.
Android(or at least the Google Apps for Android) did the same thing in 2008; now these standards are outdated.
The android phones also come with a lot of bloatware that can sometimes be impossible to remove.
If you'd root your phone, you'd be easily able to remove it, and almost all android phones are rootable.
M$ has already said that they will not accept bloatware on their phones, and that is a damn good idea.
How can you define the difference between bloatware and genuinly useful features like sense?
I currently have a blackberry and don't like it that much. All the different android versions makes buying apps useless
Why? Just plain why? Apps have support for multiple devices. You could put in this reason for selling apps, but not for buying. If you have eclair, you can get 95% of apps.
and the iPhone makes me want fight someone...
That, I don't understand either. I like the iPhone(though I would dual boot android and iOS), though I think android has a better value for price.(and an iPhone is too expensive for me).

Back