Windows reboots after loading, possibly video card related?

silencebrother

I've been running an nvidia geforce fx 5200 on an Intel D845GRG motherboard for a few years with no issues; suddenly I turn on the computer and there are multi-color vertical lines across screen and the monitor powers off on it's own after the Windows loading screen. Everything else (i.e. fans, harddrive, etc.) continue working.

I installed an old nvidia riva tnt2 model 64 and the computer runs with no problem.

I tried installing drivers, resetting the BIOS, and reformatting the computer.

Now the computer is restarting itself after the Windows loading screen.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Windows XP Professional 2002, service pack 3
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

The nvidia geforce fx 5200 is bad. You found this out all by yourself by doing this:

"I installed an old nvidia riva tnt2 model 64 and the computer runs with no problem"...

but there's something else.

I have yet another nvidia geforce fx 5200 that's never been used that does the same thing.

Also, I disabled auto reboots, and got this code:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file nv4_disp

If this is thef irst time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000EA (0x821e7cb0, 0x82203b58, 0xf896ec84, 0x00000001)

nv4_disp

I assumed my video card was bad also, until I tried the identical card and had the same issues. I'm assuming now that it's a driver issue, but I installed the newest version of the driver directly from the nvidia website.

So after some more research, I've discovered that this is a common issue with this video card, and is referred to as the infamous nv4_disp infinite loop. However, after 30 minutes of searching, I still have no solution.

Does anyone know of a fix to this?

Yes. I found someone talking about a solution using ForceWare Release 80
Version: 81.98 but I can't find a downloadable link on the Nvidia website.

I've already downloaded the newest driver update, but I'm still experiencing the same problems.

From the website I posted? "the infamous nv4_disp infinite loop" This problem was first reported over 6 years ago. I thought it was long gone now :confused:

The specs on the power supplies you linked to are generic supplies at best. Their rated wattage is probably much lower than posted. You would be better off getting an ANTEC, Corsair, Thermaltake or OCZ 500 watt or better

No, XP Pro, Service Pack 3 should be okay as long as you have installed all the XP updates after SP3, including most of the optional and all the .NET Framework updates

Hey Scanner2012, if silencebrother hasn't found a fix by now, he probably never will. The last post in here before you was in December almost 6 months ago :D

Back