Windows Server 2003 R2 slow

Hi

I have a client that is running Windows Server 2003 R2 and is running extremely slow. The server was installed last year, but it gradually got slower and now it is unbearably slow. After troubleshooting I found that taskmgr.exe was using roughly about 50% of CPU usage (reason I say roughly is because it fluctuates between 48 and 52). After rebooting I see that explorer.exe used roughly 50% as well and then after another reboot, services.exe is using roughly 50% as well. So explorer.exe and services.exe alternate between using the other half of CPU usage, but after a long time only taskmgr.exe is left using 50%.

I have searched the internet for a solution but none of the stuff I found helped. Ok in safe mode it works fine and fast with no problems. I tried stopping services one by one until all where stopped and it was still slow. I scanned with Kaspersky and it came up with nothing. I had experience with viruses before so I looked in the registry for anything odd and couldn't find anything. Under startup there are only a few items and all of them I configured to startup. One forum said it was an update that caused the problem, so I left Automatic Updates running last night to see if that works.

Attached is the HiJackThis report.

Any help on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED Thanx.

P.S. I know I haven't run any anti-malware/spyware programs, the reason for this is 1. it is too slow to install anything (it took me 2 hours to install HiJackThis) and 2. I don't think it has malware/spyware (I could be wrong) because apart from the slowness there is nothing suspicious about it, every program works fine, registry has nothing odd (well to my knowledge) and I have clean out temp files etc. with no problem.

If you require any more info please let me know.

Attachments

• HiJackThis.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 3
An incredibly slow system is possibly caused by

having a virtually full HDD
having a bad HDD causing endless tries to write anything
having an aberant application which is looping or has a memory leak or is writing logs of every single event
having been hijacked

I list these in the order you can actually test - even with a very slow system, but that the system runs ok in safe mode points more to a software problem, not a hardware one. In safe mode, none of the autostart programs are running of course. It should not be difficult to discover an aberant app.

An incredibly slow system is possibly caused by

having a virtually full HDD
having a bad HDD causing endless tries to write anything
having an aberant application which is looping or has a memory leak or is writing logs of every single event
having been hijacked

I list these in the order you can actually test - even with a very slow system, but that the system runs ok in safe mode points more to a software problem, not a hardware one. In safe mode, none of the autostart programs are running of course. It should not be difficult to discover an aberant app.

Sorry to be ignorant but how to I check for a program that is looping, is there a app that I need to download?

I have tried disabling all startup items but still the same, taskmgr.exe using 50%of cpu usage.

A looping program would grab all the CPU it was allowed. A server OS should not allow any app to dominate the CPU, but MS shows no sign of producing a bullet-proof OS any time soon. Even the latest server 2008 etc, although very good, is subject to numerous patches nearly every month.

Suspect items you have already quoted are explorer.exe and services.exe

An example of the kind of problems coming from services.exe here http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/services.exe.html I am not saying that IS your problem, it's just a possibility.

I'm afraid not too many MS server OS managers or experts frequent this site - we are mostly experienced (sometimes service technician) amateurs. I would suggest you visit here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sms/threads and spread out from there. E.g. in MS technet, you can find this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?Refinement=112&query=high usage in taskmgr.exe click on the windows server 2003 to refine the answers. One of them found it to be due to kaspersy.

I notice the advice from so-called MVP's (most valued professionals) is not spectacularly better than TechSpot..... or at any rate, some posters on here do at least tell us if we manage to solve the problem.

I managed to fix the problem. It turns out that Kaspersky was culprit, uninstalled it and installed the latest version and now its super fast (especially since I upgraded the CPU and memory trying to fix this problem lol).

Back