Windows setup cannot access HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, here is my problem:

Windows XP Pro on a 20gig HDD (Laptop).

Windows was working, then got laggy and unresponsive so I shut down and tried to restart. Didn't get into windows it sent me to a black screen and just sat there.

Next tried to run Windows Setup from Windows Xp Pro CD... setup tells me that the disk may be damaged or corrupt.

Tried to use recovery console to fix the MBR so I used both the commands, fixboot and fixmbr and then back to setup.

Same thing, tells me that it cannot install because it cannot read the disk it maybe damaged or corrupt.

Anyone ever hear or seen this before? Thanks in advance.

The disk is either damaged or corrupt.

Run HD dignostics from the drive manufacturer.
If you don't mind losing the disk contents, overwrite the beginning of the disk with zeroes.

Well I went to maxtor and got their low-level format util. and ran it, first run though it saw the drive. but failed the SMART write test.

Ran the program again and told it to low-level format the drive. So it started and got i dunno maybe 40% though and then the drive started making really funny sounds... Like a scratching...

Ran the program again, couldn't find the drive... puke:

I think I'm up **** creek here. Any more suggestions?

Oh and how to your write zeros at the beginning of a drive?

You already did.. "Low level format" effectively zeroes out the drive.

SMART failure and the funny sounds pretty clearly say that this disk is on it's way to the evergreen cyberspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back