Windows Update and IE6 SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duku

I installed the last leaked SP1 for Internet Explorer 6 (build 2800.1005) (beta 3 I think) on top of another Ie6SP1 (build 2813.3000) (beta2) on a WindowsXP Pro. It worked all fine, but when I was trying to use Windows Update, it said

Software Update Incomplete

The Windows Update software did not update successfully. Below are some suggestions to help you proceed:
You may have clicked No when prompted to accept the Trust Certificate. To allow the Windows Update site software to install, click Yes when presented with the Security Warning dialog box.
Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set too high. To install the updated software and access Windows Update, Internet Explorer security must be set to medium or lower, and active scripting and the download and initialization of ActiveX controls must be enabled.

Note These are the default settings for Internet Explorer. For more information about Internet Explorer security and instructions on how to change your security settings, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

Were these suggestions helpful? Send us your feedback.

and a Try again button.

Of course that trying again wouldn't worked...so after 2 days I uninstalled the IE6Sp1 beta3..but it won't worked either. System Restore doesn't helped me either.

So now I am stucked out of WinUpdate page, with the same message..i tried to lower IE settings, but nothing. I read also the previous topic on this forum, also for nothing.

Now I am desperate, please someone help me!

I believe that you need to manually download the windows update software from the microsoft website.

WHy in the world would you be eager to try out IE SP1?

I believe you had to uninstall the previous builds before installing the new ones.

uninstall, reinstall, is your best bet for a properly running version.
Don't forget to export/save your favorites first

Dunno, been using the leaks myself since iexbeta.com started posting them, never really had any huge problems with them. Last one I had was well over a year ago & that was fixed by installing the first leak, then the newer one(s) over it.
I'm using IE 6 SP1 at the moment here on Windows XP. Zero problems. Only thing I see changed being the file download window.

Never had to uninstall to install a newer build neither :)

I am glad that you have no problems with the IE6SP1, but PLEASE could someone help me with another suggestions (or reply to the previous ones)? I don't want to reinstall WinXP just because WinUpdate site isn't working...

Just a thought. Check your active X control in your downloaded programs folder. "Update Class" should be the one. May be damaged. Even if it's not you might try deleting it.
Control Panel/ Internet Options/ General/ Settings/ "View Objects".

Originally posted by Thunder
Check your active X control in your downloaded programs folder. "Update Class" should be the one. May be damaged. Even if it's not you might try deleting it.

Thank you, nice try... but it won't worked. It loads the ActiveX popup windows, I click yes to install, then a few moments later brings me to that page I mentioned in my first post. I tried to lower the Internet Security settings, but that doesn't helped too...

:confused:

I followed the discussion on the indicated link topic, and did the following thing:

I have copied v 5.4.2600.40 of IUCTL.DLL & IUENGINE.DLL into \windows\system32 folder and " IUIDENT.TXT" into \program files\windowsupdate\v4 folder.

(as posted there)

The result is a new error messge, stating:

Access denied

Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please check with your system administrator.

Of course I am the system admin...:(

Do you have any firewalls running will your doing this??? Trying closing EVERYTHING else your doing at the time your updating. Make sure the XP firewall isn't on and give it another try. Maybe this will help, although I'm skeptical. :)

I repeat
Originally posted by T-Shirt
many betas (like the "leaked" ones, won't except a normal update
and end up complete.

Believe me that I thought too of disabling the firewall. Didn't helped too. But I must tell that I previously used WindowsUpdate with the firewall enabled.

I don't think ther is something wrong with leaked betas in general, I use them since the first leak of SP1 beta1..and didn't have any troubles until now with WindowsUpdate or other sites...

I guess I am stucked then?:(:(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back