Windows Update not working

mhol

Hi there, I've recently had issues with System Check virus (now resolved, thanks to another wonderful forum here). However, I am now having an issue with Windows Update.

When I tried to ensure it was up to date, it showed up with a red "x". I clicked on "check for updates" and a message came up stating "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

I restarted, but it still wouldn't come up.

I tried going to microsoft's site and using FixIt, but to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion or fix for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have you checked to see whether Windows Update has started? Right click on My Computer, then select Manage. In the new windows that opens up, on the left side, you should something like System Tools, Storage, and Service & Applications.

Under Service & Applications, click on Services. On the right, scroll down until you see Windows Update. Double click to see it's settings. On mine, Startup Type is Automatic (Delayed). Service status is Started.

DCOM Server Process Launcher & RPC Endpoint Mapper should have startup type - Automatic and service status - Started.

1. Disable your antivirus on your system.
2 . Go to Start and type “cmd” & enter.
3. Type the commands -
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
(Press ENTER after each command)
4. Close the Command prompt window & reboots the system.
5 Try to install updates again.

Thanks

Back