Windows Update thinks my PC is Mac ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravisunny2

I have Win 98SE, and have never had any problem with the windows update before.

Now, when trying a Windows Update, I get the message :

'Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/. '

Sometimes, while browsing, I also get an warning (something to the effect):

'Due to your current active-x setting, some items may not display correctly'.

I have used free scans from Trendmicro & Kapersky. Also I have used registry cleaners 'Ccleaner' & 'Wise Registry cleaner'.

I'm not sure what setting have been inadvertently been changed.

Can someone suggest a cure please ?

Thanks.

I didnt think Microsoft offered updates for windows 98/98se?

Didn't offer them anymore is what I should of said, since like I thought it was 2004 or something like that

Actually, Microsoft doesn't offer support anymore, but the critical updates were still available just 2 or 3 months ago.

Anyway, they could have just said that updates are no longer available.

Why think that my PC is a Mac ?

Anyway, Howard, what this means is that I can't reformat my harddisk again, since the critical updates will no longer be available.

My replacement motherboard is overdue by two months. Someone is going to get it from me tomorrow morning (it's 1:30 am here)

'Due to your current active-x setting, some items may not display correctly'.
I imagine thats it. If you have a fresh install of XP it makes you update something before you can even use windows update. I imagine they just didn't shoot that out to 98 users, and as a result, no more updates. This has been comming for a long time, and franky I'm suprised they took this long.

I guess I was wrong they stopped selling Windows 98se to system builders in 2004 but stoped providing support and updates in 2006, sorry for the unfactful information.

ravisunny2 said:
Actually, Microsoft doesn't offer support anymore, but the critical updates were still available just 2 or 3 months ago.
Actually, I just updated my old pig this week with critical security updates.

Few and far between, but still there.

Microsoft does not provide any support for Windows 98. However, any security issues that might facilitate spread to other users are still resolved by various downloads.
We have infrequently seen the error message you describe, depending on the software and configuration, when Window 98 or Windows Me are installed with certain video cards and certain Adobe software.

The warning I get sometimes, particularly when connecting to TECHSPOT, is:

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"

I don't recall making any explicit changes in the settings.

Any suggestions, please, to rectify this problem ?

What browser are you using? I wish I saw a picture of that message ;) .

I use Firefox for exactly this kind of stuff. I totally distain ActiveX
and use every tool known to mankind to defeat it! (Hyberpole :) )

Things are back to normal.

I uninstalled Kapersky & some other rarely used s/w.

My PC is now being detected correctly, and the Windows 98SE Critical Updates are available again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back