Windows VISTA ASUS P5K-E WiFi/Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

Hi, I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit) And my motherboard supports wifi networking. I want to use it as an access point for my PSPs, the Wii, then eventually the Xbox 360.

To start simple I am trying to browse the Internet on my PSP via this connection, but I can't get it to work. I believe I have configured it all correctly and there shouldnt be a problem here, but it fails at the "Obtaining IP address" part. - I get the following message on the PSP:

A connection error has occurred.
The attempt to obtain the IP address timed out.

Connection Name Schmutz-PC_AP
SSID Schmutz-PC_AP

I'm sure if anything its the PC that isn't configured correctly because I have used the PSP online via other wifi connections before. Just to note; the PC obtains its internet connection through my host computer and Internet connection sharing, but that shouldnt be a problem. I hope someone could direct me to or (if it doesn't take much time which Im sure it won't) write a small step by step guide how I can get this up and running

Secondly, I have had problems using PCI network cards on my vista machine, it doesnt detect them. Is this because there are not drivers for windows vista yet? I do have a new NC-1000TX-R (gigabit network card) in the house but its for another computer, would vista identify that one? (I have drivers for it on a floppy unlike the others)

Thanks in advance folks!

Schmutz

Vista has a much more complex firewall/security feature... I just set up a network between a wireless laptop with Vista Home Premium, and a wired PC using XP Pro. The PC was wired into a Linksys Wireless Router and it accessed the Internet, and the HP Laptop was configured to the Linksys for wireless Internet connectivity. Wth DHCP enabled active, setup a home or small office network, and enable printer and file sharing.

"Secondly, I have had problems using PCI network cards on my vista machine, it doesnt detect them. Is this because there are not drivers for windows vista yet? I do have a new NC-1000TX-R (gigabit network card) in the house but its for another computer, would vista identify that one? (I have drivers for it on a floppy unlike the others)"...

If these cards aren't detected (and I assume they are wired cards) they will have to be detected before you can think about using wired networking

Ok thanks for explaining how you've configured yours Tmagic650, but it just seems that its different using a wifi adapter as the method you've mentioned does not seem to warrent any success here

I've set up the NC-1000TX-R network card and its working flawlessly with the xbox 360. This provides Xbox live and Windows media center extension (streaming videos from my PC onto the Xbox 360)

Anyone else use ASUS P5K-E Wifi? I know its a popular board. It would be ideal if someone who has set up their wireless features could talk me through what they've done

Hi guys. Still haven't resolved this issue so I decided to pluck this thread from its grave :D Any suggestions would be appreciated I'd really like to get the wifi working :cool:

Seems that my wireless capabilitys are limited to recieving signal from a wireless router/other computers rather than working as an access point for the PSP's/Wii/Xb360 etc so I'll need to get a wireless router if I wish to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back