Windows Vista - Network Transfer Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpticalOrange99

I'm trying to send stuff across the network but large files (>600MB) always seem to have a high chance of failing and I get this error:

NetworkError.jpg

Ones that are like 300MBs and under seem to fail often but at least a few can get through.

I have Windows Vista on each of the 3 PCs on the network. 1 is a desktop while the other two are notebooks. I have a Netgear DG834GT router which says it's Vista Compatible on the website.

I'm not sure when this started or if it's been an ongoing problem. I transfered the *.gcfs (Game Cache Files) to my brother's notebook fine back in November. They all weigh in at a gig or over. But now a small zipped mod (200MBs) is having trouble being delivered without me getting the above message.

Please ask if you'd like anymore information, as right now I'm not really sure what else to provide.

I'll provide HijackThis logs of each PC in the network tomorrow. Perhaps they're infected with something, or somethings running and disrupting the transfers? Dunno.

Any help would be appreciated.

At first sight this is a problem with your network hub or switch. Can you swap this out for another to test the theory?
Does this happen on all machines between machines or only when you involve one of them?
This sort of problem is more often than not related to hardware so it might also be a network card - possible driver upgrade could fix it if just on 1 machine.

AlbertLionheart said:
At first sight this is a problem with your network hub or switch. Can you swap this out for another to test the theory?
Does this happen on all machines between machines or only when you involve one of them?
This sort of problem is more often than not related to hardware so it might also be a network card - possible driver upgrade could fix it if just on 1 machine.

Hmmm Well if we name them: PC1, Lap1, Lap2; then it happens extremely frequently between PC1 <-> Lap2 and between Lap1 <-> Lap2. It doesn't happen so much between PC1 <-> Lap1 though.

So maybe you're right. it could be the Wireless NIC driver on Lap2. I'll try and get a new one from Dell. I've also been thinking about replacing my router for a fully made-for-Vista one. I'll see about that as well. Currently though I only have the DG834GT, so replacing the network switch/hub is out of the question.

If you can blag or borrow a USB wireless NIC you could try that to see if it shows anything? I have had some problems with the DG834GT in the past but not usually like this.

AlbertLionheart said:
If you can blag or borrow a USB wireless NIC you could try that to see if it shows anything? I have had some problems with the DG834GT in the past but not usually like this.

Yeah I have a Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter thing that came with the DG834GT. I think it's called the W111GT or something. Anyway I'll see if it helps.

By the way, what other problems have you had with the DG834GT in the past? I'd be interested to know all of them to see if I have had them too. I've had a few problems with it and I'm not sure which to blame on it or on just my own ineptitude when it comes to computers.

AlbertLionheart said:
The most common problem has been a string of failed power supplies for them.

Hmmm well luckily I haven't experienced that. Although I've only had it since the summer of '07.

What other problems have you had with it? Connectivity problems? Because connectivity and transfer problems are the main ones I've been plagued with.

Same Problems Vista to xp /2000

I'm experiencing exatly the same problem. I've recently introduced a new pc onto my network, all pc's use dlink 1gb NIC hard wired to various dlink 1gb switches. Prior to this Vista Business pc moving my videos around the network was no problem.

However moving singular or groups of video files (usually 350mb each) pretty much requires hand holding to keep pressing the try again button.

XP had no problems and was even plugged into the same port this new machine is plugged into. The destination box is a win2k server, again xp had no probs doing this. I'm reluctant to beleive its the current hard ware since the only thing to have changed is this new vista business machine.

And further suggestions would be very much welcomed since this is becoming very annoying. - Not that Vista its self isn't annoying anyway!

dubman said:
I'm experiencing exatly the same problem. I've recently introduced a new pc onto my network, all pc's use dlink 1gb NIC hard wired to various dlink 1gb switches. Prior to this Vista Business pc moving my videos around the network was no problem.

However moving singular or groups of video files (usually 350mb each) pretty much requires hand holding to keep pressing the try again button.

XP had no problems and was even plugged into the same port this new machine is plugged into. The destination box is a win2k server, again xp had no probs doing this. I'm reluctant to beleive its the current hard ware since the only thing to have changed is this new vista business machine.

And further suggestions would be very much welcomed since this is becoming very annoying. - Not that Vista its self isn't annoying anyway!

Good to know I'm not alone out there. Vista can be quite annoying but there's still a lot of stuff that I like about it. So I don't think any of us with this problem should head back to XP. I think we should inform Microsoft. I might try to get in contact with Dell (the manufacturer of my PC) and through them hopefully they'll tell Microsoft to fix the bleedin' problem. I have to use Dell because Microsoft charge for their support. Evil people. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back