Windows Vista Upgrade Version Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I recently wiped all of my three hard drives clean, including my OS harddrive, by formatting them. I did this through the Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade disk and then I proceeded to do a clean installation of Windows Vista with the disk. With my current OS disk, the only option I have is to do a clean install because I'm not upgrading my OS from a previous OS. The problem I am having is that I cannot activate my Windows copy, which I have 29 days to do, because of the fact that the Vista OS disk I have is ONLY for UPGRADES. I don't have any Windows XP copy to install so there is no way I can upgrade back to Vista. To summarize this, I need some way to downgrade my OS so I can then upgrade to Vista through the Upgrade disk, which is currently my ONLY OS disk. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, they would be greatly appreciated. :)

Joe, you're out of luck! You need to re-install Windows XP and then run your Windows Vista upgrade. If you still have a product key for Windows XP, you're OK, an independent computer will loan or give a copy of that version of Windows XP. It's illegal for them to give you a copy with purchasing a product key but they can without a product key.

BTW, why are you upgrading to Vista? I'd advise against it unless you actually need Vista for something. I also don't like Windows upgrade installations. Too much hassle when something goes wrong.

-- Andy

Currently I have an XP disc, but no product key. Is there a way I can downgrade with it? Also, the only reason I have Vista is for DirectX 10 because I play a lot of games.

I tried to install XP without the Product Key, but I needed it to do so unlike the installation of Vista.

Well the thing is that I don't want to buy another OS, and if I had to I would get Vista for the DirectX 10 factor.

Possible Option

Currently I have an XP disc, but no product key. Is there a way I can downgrade with it? Also, the only reason I have Vista is for DirectX 10 because I play a lot of games.

First, I presume the XP you had was a retail copy? That's why you don't have a product key for it? You lost the Windows sticker that had the number on it. Might have been able to retrieve the XP Product Key with a special program but now that you've wiped the hard drives clean, we can't do that. Check your chassis just in case the Windows sticker is on it.

You might talk to Microsoft about what to do. Knowing theur reputation, they will try to charge you extra to get help (bloodsuckers!) But anyway, they may be able to give you a viable option. Without that XP product key, you are stick.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back