Windows will not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was udating my video drivers and when I rebooted i got the message.
'Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
system32\drivers\nvcchflt.sys'

I got in touch with tech.support of my PC manufacturer and they told me which files to copy onto a floppy and then in RC to copy to c:\windows\system32\drivers.

When I start RC I think I need to install the RAID controllers from floppy first, because otherwise RC starts at the C: prompt and if I type dir I get the message: 'There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive'.
This PC came with no files on floppy, so I have to work out what files I have to copy from CD-ROM.
Tech.support are not being very helpful.
I have got software for VIA VT6420 and VIA VT8237 controllers.
How do I work out which one I need or if I need them both?

Sorry about the long message.
TIA

Tech.support

So you have a floppy drive, and nvcchflt.sys on a floppy ?

Recovery Console doesn't allow copying from removable media by default, you'll have to set it by

set allowremovablemedia = true

You may have to enable an option to copy to all directories as well:

set allowallpaths = true

Then just copy the driver to the correct location.

Its not the nvcchflt.sys on the floppy, its a set of files they have told me to copy.

using set does not do anything - function disabled. I don't think I can change that from RC.
When RC starts I get a screen saying
Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system.

with 2 options

* to specify special disk controllers, etc. Press S
* if you do not have any device support disks Press Enter

I think this is the point I have to install the RAID controllers, but I'm not too sure which ones.

Any help would be great.

you don't need to copy from cd to floppy back to pc
and I never heard of raid for floppy
if you have the bootable install cd you should be able to copy right from there,so did I miss something
like you have to dwnld the files to disc or ???
make sure the bios setup allows boot from cd first
then the hdd
if you are stuck on this floppy thing check bios make sure the first boot is floppy and enable bootup floppy seek if it's not
oh ya
floppy must be made bootable ya know
further reading sounds like recovery also wants to load the sata raid drivers you should have that also on disc from MB manufacturer or who ever sold you the machine
find this and at the press s prompt load the disc and press S
funny windows should be able to load the default drivers for the video and via chipset

Sorry to drag up...

an old thread, but this is crazy, guys. The guy wasn't saying he thought his floppy was on a RAID, he was simply asking which drivers to install for his RAID controller...his pc didn't come with a driver disk (you'd have to make one...hopefully you already figured this out) - he was unable to access his array to replace the files that were corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back