Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

skp_thillenkery

Please help
I have a problem with my Compaq PC ...will explain from beginning !!
At first when i boot the PC it used to come one message like " splash screen error run rompaq.." and below that black screen F1 to boot....when i press F1 ...it used to boot windows and i can work comfortably ..now the problem...before last two days when i tried to start my PC it won't boot ..instead it shows the same message press F1 to boot (i suspect by mistake i deleted some system file..but it was a normal shutdown i made last time)...after that i made one start up disk from another computer and tried to boot from it ..but i can't ..while booting from floppy it begins the booting but windows not coming..it shows like
Starting......
A:\> mode can code page prepare=((720) ega4.cpi)
failure to access code page font file
A:\> mode con code page select =720 code page not prepared
A:\> keyb us,, keyboard.sys
code page specified has not been prepared
A:\>
I can enter to C:\ or D:\ etc also can use dir like commands..please help me to solve this problem

You have some serious troubles, and need to do some intensive reading on how Windows works, and what happens when a hard drive is corrupted or damaged or mis-installed..
It would be helpful for you to tell us computer, install discs, installed hardware, connection, hardware configuration you have, as well as the age of everything, and the recent history of failures and difficulties..

thanks..for ur reply..i will be back with the detailes
i forgot to tell one thing..that i used one flash drive from my friend during that day..i didn't checked it for virus!! is it may be due to some virus attack ?
but everything was worked fine before that last shutdown...PC worked one full day time and i made a very normal shutdown in evening...
now as i posted before after insert the start up disk i can enter c:\ , d:\ ....etc but i can't see the prompt for selecting safe mode or normal boot etc after this trouble, i tried lot with pressing all function keys
thanks a lot for the replys

So am I getting this right?
Your computer will not boot to Windows XP via the hard drive.
It also will not boot to Windows XP CD?
But it did work for a day, once it had booted up?
What am I missing?
I think we are using different nomenclature, so be quite detailed in how you describe what is working and not working... as well as the computer brand, model, and age, and the version or souce of the WXP CD?
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the patience...
the problem solved almost now ..i boot it using windows xp cd by repairing..now there is one new trouble that when i double click C:\ or d:\ it is not opening but i can open by puting mouse over c:\ and right click then by selecting open ....is it due to virus ?

The original post (up there) looked as though it was a hardware HardDrive fault, not a Windows fault.

raybay's reply was perfect for that condition

But it seems that it was not a F1 to continue issue, but it was a Windows missing files problem.

So you have since repaired Windows, and all is working.

I hope I'm right so far?

Anyway, if you right click on the drive and select open (as you are presently doing)
Locate a file called "autorun.inf" and delete it (ie c:\autorun.inf)
You may need to view all files, include system and hidden files to see this inf file.

Once the inf file is removed, you should then be able to double click on your drive to open it normally, again.

I would also suggest to run a full updated Antivirus scan on your system

Probably not. It is usually due to a bad install, or corrupted files. Only a clean format from a cold boot, and a reinstall will fix everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back