Windows XP: Code 12 in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a T30 laptop and I'm trying to install a wireless NIC.

However, whenever I plug it into the laptop I get an exclamation in Device Manager with a code 12:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

I've turned off everything I can think to turn off in the BIOS, and I've looked at the troubleshooting wizard concerning this error. I'm confused about how to resolve the issue because I don't know how I'm supposed to "see" what resources the device I'm plugging in wants. Even if I did know that, I'm unsure of how I would/could reassign it to different resources.

Anyone got any helpful hints for figuring this out?

Hi

does your BIOS have the option for "PLUG AND PLAY OS = yes/no

If so set it to yes.

If not see system information (start programs accessories system tools>system information to see what IRQ's are in use.

I have seen this happen when the NIC is faulty as well.

thx for reply

There is no plug and play option in the bios. Since its an older laptop, I went ahead and did a bios updated to see if that would help at all and I got strange results. On the initial boot afterward, it was installed properly in device manager but on subsequent restarts it has reverted to hardware conflict.

I am familiar with the sys information program, but when the NIC has a conflict it doesn't show up in the IRQ's for me. What I'd really like to try is forcing a different IRQ on it but thats kinda hard to do if it doesn't show up?

What I'd really like to try is forcing a different IRQ on it but thats kinda hard to do if it doesn't show up?

1. If what isn't there? If you are referring to the device, it HAS to be there if Device Manager reports an error code for it ;). But forcing IRQ is not the best (at least initial approach)

2. The simplest first step solution: Open Device Manager, look under Network Adapters, rt click on the device. Under the General tab, click the Troubleshooting button. As first step Windows might help you find the devices in conflict and can at least, for now, disable one

3. If not certain about these instructions or you still have question, please do the following for next post:
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

1. If what isn't there? If you are referring to the device, it HAS to be there if Device Manager reports an error code for it ;). But forcing IRQ is not the best (at least initial approach)

I mean I don't see any resources being used when it is plugged in (which seems to make sense since there is a conflict). The first thing the Wizard tells me to do is sort resources by type and see what resources are in use. But its hard to see how any of that information is relevant because I don't know which resources this NIC wants.

2. The simplest first step solution: Open Device Manager, look under Network Adapters, rt click on the device. Under the General tab, click the Troubleshooting button. As first step Windows might help you find the devices in conflict and can at least, for now, disable one

3. If not certain about these instructions or you still have question, please do the following for next post:
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

The next step in the wizard is to disable the conflicting devices... but i don't know which devices those are because I don't know what resources this NIC wants. I've disabled a number of devices and things in the bios trying to find the magical resource that is the problem, but haven't had any luck so far.

When I do the other stuff you mention, i do see the problem device. I'm typing from a differnt computer than the one with the problem, so I'm paraphrasing a little bit. The error is this:

"Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card <PCI Device ID> This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use."

Hmm... other things to do to try and tackle this problem
  1. Could you post the exact PCI Device ID you see displayed in msinfo32 Problem devices?
    • The Device ID is what uniquely identifies the hardware device (and i might find better info about it if you can report it).
    • fyi Windows uses the Device ID to go looking for drivers/install a device. The Windows' "human friendly" device name string is what Windows reads from whatever driver it finds
    • If the driver is not the "right" or isn't even the "best" match for a device Windows pulls the device name from the driver is is not right or isn't the best match. While i'm sure this is a Belkin wireless device, much more specific info on the device is found by using Device ID
    • While a wrong/incomplete/or misleading device name doesn't occur often.. it still is something to be wary of especially when having driver problems (i.e. don't just search for solutions based on device name, try to search using device ID!
    • (Use the string up to BUT NOT incudling &REV_ as that's just the revision level of the hardware device and other non-significant info
  2. Uninstall the device but don't uninstall using Device Manager (unless no other choice)!
    => First look to see if Start->Programs has a Belkin entry and might have an uninstaller
    => Next check Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for a Belkin entry
  3. Physically remove the device then try rebooting/installing while in safe mode
  4. Check Windows Event Log (System and Application Logs) to see if any additional data is there to help determine the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back