Windows XP continually restarts-F8 options do not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Windows XP Home on a compaq computer. Have not installed any new programs or hardware in more than 1 year. Run Norton's as well as have filters on my dsl service. Out of the blue I turned the computer on and it immediately comes up with a black screen with a few options such as start in safe mode, etc. None of them work. There is a counter at the lower left screen that says you have 25 seconds before the computer restarts. It restarts, looks like it is going to start then screen blinks and it reboots back to same screen. If you use F8, none of the options work. I do not have an OS disk - only a factory restore disk. Waiting until I have used all options before I do a factory restore. I have access to a XP Pro disk. When I tried to get to the repair console, it asked for an administrator password. Never had one and never installed one. Compaq says they do not hard code a password in. The repair console will not let me bypass password. Tried downloading a file that will let me change password but no luck. Tried going to microsoft and getting the file that creates 6 bootable disk. Got to disk 3 and a message came up that said there was a problem with setupdd.sys error code 7. Went to this website http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181&sd=RMVP and it appears there may be a hardware conflict. However, I have already tried without sound card, video card and cd roms with no luck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much

MMorgan

Sounds like your OS is corrupted. If you can't use the recovery console on the XP cd, then reinstall XP.

Reinstalling OS

If I don't have the XP home, can I use XP Pro? If I reinstall XP will I lose any of the info or will it re-install around the programs? I have my data on CD's but I was just wondering about the programs.

Yes you can upgrade to pro. You may find some stuff is lost such as data in the all users folder, and some settings included in the default user folder. Data in the shared docs folder might also go missing. Other than that, your data should still be there, and your programs should still work. If for some reason they don't, just reinstall that program.

Installing Pro

May be a dumb question but...If I try to install Pro version, will it boot from that CD? Remember, I can't get a command prompt so I just wanted to double check.

Thanks for all your help.

Margie

There are no such thing as dumb questions just dumb answers lol. Yes, the XP PRO CD is bootable, so it will boot from the CD. If it doesn't, go into your BIOS and change the boot order.

XP Pro

Thanks, thought it would boot but wanted to double check. I had already changed my bios. I will give this a try and let you know.

Thanks

Molson316 said:
Yes you can upgrade to pro. You may find some stuff is lost such as data in the all users folder, and some settings included in the default user folder. Data in the shared docs folder might also go missing. Other than that, your data should still be there, and your programs should still work. If for some reason they don't, just reinstall that program.

how do you save the user files, I am having the same problem. I pull the hard drive out to another computer, trying to save the user files, but there are access problems.

I have known this sort of problem to also be caused by a failing hard drive so I recommend before (or after) your rebuild, create a floppy disc or bootable CD of the HDD manufactureres test software and give it a good scrub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back