Windows XP littered with malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a dell latitude d620 for a friend. There are so many viruses on it that it will not even boot in safe mode. I know there is a way to bypass that but I can't remember how to do it. It will not boot from any drive. Any hints, tips or advice is appreciated.

Not alot you can do unless you are experienced. What you are thinking about is probably something like a UBCD4WIN cd containing a great deal of virus removal software. That is an experts job. Your best approach is more like get the important data off by mounting the drive in a donor PC in place of the cd/dvd drive, then reformat it and reinstall when back in the original PC.

Thanks! I found out after I posted this that the reason it isn't booting is because there is only 1015 Mb of memory in the laptop and somehow they have managed to install 1024 MB of data/programs, etc. They do not have the CD anymore, so any bypass techniques would be appreciated.

It's best to get your hands on a Windows install disc and install Windows fresh. You can get any missing drivers from the laptops website... It may still be possible to use a built-in system restore function, but this IS a Dell

...because there is only 1025 Mb of memory in the laptop and somehow they have managed to install 1024 MB of data/programs, etc...

The system memory is separate from the hard drive space. They are not the same, as many people get this confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back