Windows XP pro/sound card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem: No sound whatsoever.

Sound Card: Diamond XtremeSound 5.1/16 bit sound card
Motherboard: EPoX 8KDA series Nvidia chipset w/onboard sound (disabled in BIOS)
CPU: 32 bit AMD Sempron 3100+

Description of problem:

My onboard sound died on me (2 of the jacks had developed shorts after considerable use) so i purchased a new sound card. I plugged it into an open PCI slot and booted up into Linux - no issues whatsoever, the sound card works beautifully.

Then I booted into windows, which i use for gaming, and I started the driver installation process. The installer for the driver gives me an error message that I need to plug the sound card into the PCI slot - but it's already there, and I know both card and slot work thanks to Linux.

Windows Device Manager shows the device installed, but with a yellow "!" and the message that drivers are not installed.

I attempted to install drivers from the provided CD, from a download off Diamond's site, and from a couple of open-source websites, all with the same result. None of the installers recognize that the device is properly attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This problem has been resolved.

My solution was to open the installer and determine which folder the installer.exe was extracting the driver files to, then to use windows' device manager driver wizard to navigate to that particular folder and install them.

hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back