Windows XP Slow Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically the computer boots fine, but it gets stuck at the welcome screen and takes around 10-30 seconds to get past it. I've only got a few startup items and I don't think that they eat up a lot of memory. I've already removed one antivirus software and registry cleaner because I have too many of those things. So any idea how to fix this annoying problem. I'm used to a very quick computer.

Here is one way to improve boot time:

A feature in Windows XP is the ability to do a boot defragment. This places all boot files next to each other on the disk to allow for faster booting.

By default this option in enables but on some builds it is not, so below is how to turn it on.

Go to Start Menu and Click Run
Type in "Regedit" then click ok
Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOpt imizeFunction"
Select "Enable" from the list on the right
Right on it and select "Modify"
Change the value to "Y to enable"
Reboot

See if this makes any difference.

Well my system is definitely not infected. I've checked it about half a dozen times and found nothing. I followed (almost) all of the instructions in that Speed-up PC thread but still found my computer hanging at the welcome screen for exactly 13 seconds. There seems to be nothing wrong with my PC except this. It works fine otherwise and is as quick as ever. So I guess I'll just have to live with it no matter how annoying it is. Thanks for your help.

No you don't have to live with it.

There has to be a reason.

If defrag & registry clean are not improving the boot up speed, it could be a hard disk on its way out.

BTW did you try Pagedefrag ?

What version XP are you using ?

and you wonder why they came out with windows 7 you must be searching up some crazy **** usualy pop up ads spam and viruses are caused by poor computer circuitry, what kind of pc you running ho.

I get the same problem, I enter my username and password, hit enter, the background image appears but nothing else, no taskbar or desktop icons.
It waits about 10 seconds before it all appears.

I played around a lot and noticed if I press the Escape key the delay doesn't happen.
Also I turned on the feature that jumps the mouse pointer to the default button of a dialog window. I found the pointer went down to the bottom right corner of the screen, as if a dialog box was there hidden from view.
Obviously pressing escape closed it and allowed everything to continue.

Is this a virus? I've scanned and can't find anything.
Is it a Microsoft dialog doing something or waiting for something?

Yeah, I tried PageDefrag, didn't improve anything. Oh and I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 Version 2002. I can't believe I never noticed how old my version was. Never seemed to trouble me before.
Anyway, if you want the computer info:
Dell Optiplex GX270 P4, 3.06 GHz and 1 GB RAM.
I can't update to Windows 7 because this certain computer was designed for Windows XP, Some things such as sound or the graphics accelerator don't work on Windows 7.

A P4 is not that old. I'm still using a PIII.

XP-SP2 isn't that old either.

Did you try Bootvis (developed by Microsoft) ?

Pretty much standard procedure to improve performance, were all listed in the threads posted above.

To summarize

1. Remove (uninstall) unnecessary software
2. Reduce no. of applications at startup
3. Clean out junk from the harddisk (ccleaner, can wipe MFT too)
4. Clean the registry (with due care) (wisecleaner)
5. Defrag pagefile
6. Defrag & Optimize (try mydefrag, formerly jkdefrag)

Don't use excessive real-time protection.

Btw, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) seems to be prolonging my boot time.

if none of the above helps, then I'd try a fresh install.

As the machine gets older, some gray areas creep in. The hardware (CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM) may be dying.

whoever the guy is running a pc from 02 needs to trash it and buy a new 1 prefrably not one from last centruy.

You said you got rid of one antivirus software. You should only run one on any given machine. Do you only have one left?

Did this problem appear recently? Suddenly or gradually?

Unfortunately, I tried all of the things mentioned but none of them seemed to work.
I only have one antivirus and firewall running at the moment, I uninstalled Avast some time ago and found that my computer worked faster. The boot time remained unchanged though. And I don't think I use excessive real-time protection. Just the one firewall and antivirus. And I'm certain that its not causing the problem. I removed it from Startup just to check but it didn't make any difference.

This problem arose after my windows went haywire recently (as in 2 weeks or so) due to McAfee. Deleting it in Safe Mode fixed the problem but since then boot times have been slow.

You know they make better more reliable computers these days; intel just came out with a slew of new more faster powerful, server chips. Being the core 5 and core i7 built into their pc's, you should shop around in some retail stores like best buy to find 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back