Windows XP "Unknown Disk" Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recently formatted my four hard drives(usually in RAID1+0) with DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke). When I went to reinstall Windows XP I was astonished to find that instead of my harddrives, or single RAID array, the Windows Setup just had four lines, all saying "unknown disk" or something similar. I have done some reading around and I see this problem seems to stem from a lack of drivers.

I am using an Asus P5AD2 Premium motherboard with 4 Seagate SATA-II (I think/hope) drives (usually in a RAID array).

So I was hoping someone could help me with my problem, possibly with a bootable CD image, as that is in my capabilities, but I have no floppy diskettes and am unable to go down that route.

Might be easier if you just slipstream the drivers into your OS CD. Take a look at nLite.

You can download your SATA RAID drivers off of ASUS's website.

Ah yes, I heard of nLite, but after looking at the ASUS site, it seemed they only had 64 bit drivers.

">Description: IT8212 ATA RAID Controller beta driver V1.7.1.95 for Windows 64bit XP/2003."

Okay, I had it all working, and installed it, but, whenever I try to start up Windows now I get this error message on a black screen, in white text. "Disk Read Error, Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to Restart"

Thanks. It seems I had the Silicon Image Controller set to SATA instead of RAID yet my RAID array was set up.

It is likely that your optical drive has gone bad. Borrow one, or buy another. They are $22 to $32 online for a DVD CD_RW burner... Avoid Sony, HP, HLDS,and ACER. Lite-On, LG, Plextor, Pioneer, Philips, Yamaha, Samsung are among the good ones.
But test with a borrowed one first to be sure that is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back