Wired works, wireless doesn't

Would you Buy an HP Laptop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a home network. The PC (main) and 3 laptops.

PC is wired Modem-Router-PC

Laptops are wireless. The 2 laptops are able to pick up the signal and connect.

The 3rd laptop is XP.

Wireless-It will not pick up any signal in the networks. According to the computer, there is no network signals within range. (Which it is in range, for when I take 1 of the 2 other laptops that has connectivity in the same location, they pick up the signal just fine)

When I move the laptop to the pc and do modem-router-laptop with a wired connection, connection is fine.

Device manager shows PCMCIA card as a yellow question mark (needs correct driver). But I didn't think that the pcmcia card had anything to do with the wireless connection, as the slot in the laptop has always been blank.

It is a HP laptop, couple of years old.

Oh, it has worked before, maybe about 3 weeks ago, and as far as I know, no hardware/software changes have been made since then.

I have even tried to manually enter the SSID and security key, and still no luck.

I have made sure that I have all the windows update's done.

HP tech support was no help, as I kept on telling them about the pcmcia driver, they kept on telling me to install graphic/video card drivers.

Router is broadcasting SSID.

Any advice?

Oh, and will buying a PCMCIA card be an alternative fix to get a wireless signal?

Well, I just showed myself that essential IT question everyone should ask 1st.

I needed to enable the wireless switch on the laptop. It is amazing to overcomplicate things when all it is most of the time is a switch of a button, a restart, or cord unplugged.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back