Wireless cuts out for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hi All,

I keep having a problem with my wireless, and I don't know what to do. It seems that my wireless will be working fine (wireless G) at 54mbps, then it will randomly drop down to 48 or 36, etc and stop working, and I really don't know why. The signal strength is always excellent, but the speed drops. What is it?

Wireless Card - belkin Wireless G
Router: wrt54g version 3

I'd appreciate any help, as this is driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Make sure you got the latest firmware for that card
Make sure you have the card set to performance or just G not G/B mix mode
Make sure you turn off any Power saving features and have the card at 100%Just to let you know those Belkin do drop between 30 to 54G, I have 4 of those cards.

I've done all of that. I am using ddwrt as well, so that shouldn't be a problem. Obviously I have it set at G, since it does go up to 54 some/most of the time, but it usually sits at 48 or 36 for some stupid reason.

It also goes down to 28 some times, but I don't know why or what to do. Even when it is sitting at 36 or 48 it is REALLY slow.

I've done all of that. I am using ddwrt as well, so that shouldn't be a problem. Obviously I have it set at G, since it does go up to 54 some/most of the time, but it usually sits at 48 or 36 for some stupid reason.

It also goes down to 28 some times, but I don't know why or what to do. Even when it is sitting at 36 or 48 it is REALLY slow.

Ok, I got a new card from D-Link and it works fine. Turns out it was just another crappy Belkin product. I suggest never buying their products ;)

Yep!

I had exactly the same until i bought a USB Linksys range booster. - it now works fine.

Belkin has it share of problems.. You never said you were using ddwrt firmware in you first posting.. What did you get beside the Belkin now...

Peerob: Yeah, I replaced the antennas on my router, and it worked fine, but the n it started cutting out again.

Tipstir: I got a d-link card, pretty cheap but seems to be pretty good as well. Sorry about forgetting to mention that I replaced the firmware on the router, but honestly, who would stick with that garbage linksys one? :p

Yeah, belkin is trash, I don't know why I bought the thing. I've always had problems with their products. Aside from the cutting in and out, the belkin software would always crash and bug up, and the icon would disappear from the sys. tray, and the window when open wouldn't redraw itself half of the time. Terrible, terrible product.

The only stuff they make good are:

Access Point Wireless G
LAN cables

Their N, G routers don't live up to what their suppose to do. I've had the 1 ANT for $39 bucks found it to be a good little hardware firewall and that's about it. The two ANT Super G was crap, I gave that to my brother-in-law he won't know the different. I couldn't get that to connect nor would it want to reset.

Using third party firmware like DDWRT or Tomato an yeah there are others might be good for some, I rather just get a good router that's quick and downloads are faster. Dlink makes better network gear so you should be okay. Linksys use to be top network company but for some reason they started to to gone down hill and later sold out to CISCO.

CISCO Switches don't hold up under heat conditions, so now a lot are switching to Nortel.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed with D-Link products as of late. I've seen quite a few that perform just as good if not far better than the linksys alternatives.

I never use the manufacturers software. Wireless Zero config is so easy and uncomplicated. Ditch the baggage and use WZC!

The last time I came across this sort of thing it was caused by two external influences - first was someone sharing bandwidth with mega downloads from a P2P site (client had forgotten they had agreed this!) and also human bodies getting in the way of the signal. I know it sounds mad, but when we shifted the bodies the rate improved.
Oh and cheap routers don't help either - if you can justify it, get a Vigor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back